Can I change Multiplier on XP 2500+ barton? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Closed Thread
Old 01-01-2005, 12:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Can I change Multiplier on XP 2500+ barton?

I am wanting to buy an Abit NF7-s 2.0 and overclock my CPU using fsb and multiplier. Some people say that you must manually unlock your multiplier, but why would ABIT make a motherboard capable of changing the multiplier if the CPU's are not made to do it? There are many mobo's supposedly capable of making this adjustment, like gigabyte, etc. Someone explain to me if I would have to unlock my Barton core, and why, and how. Thanks!

ACE’s System
Athlon XP 2500+ w/Tt Silentboost
2x256mb Pc3200 Mushkin Black 2-2-2-5 (BH-5)
Radeon 9200 128mb 128bit
Western Digital 80GB - 2mb Cache
400W Hercules PSU
Black Glossy Dragon ATX Tower
Samsung CD-RW
Logitech Z-3 2.1
IBM 17”

Old 01-01-2005, 02:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

You can change the multiplier on a lot of motherboards, but this doesn't mean that the CPU will always allow it. It's at the CPU's discretion on whether or not you can adjust that. As you read in that other thread, the barton core processors before week39 of 2003 had unlocked multipliers.

You can look into the L12 mod I believe it is, or the L12 pin mod that uses copper wires into the socket for unlocking the multiplier, but I believe even these methods may not work.

An XP-Mobile is the way to go for OC'ing because they are barton cores 2400-2600+ and all have unlocked multipliers.

Look on the CPU and see if you see 392003 somewhere or even lower. Itd be pretty lucky to get one though

Old 01-01-2005, 09:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Yes, but nubius, the mobiles only run at a weenie fsb of 133x2. Are you saying that the mobiles are just underclocked bartons with the same potential and unlocked multipliers? that would be awesome! And why do they call them mobiles anyway? And you are also sure that the bartons have locked multipliers?
Old 01-01-2005, 09:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via AIM to lazerman Send a message via Yahoo to lazerman

So my mobile at 200x2 is weenie on stock air? They call them mobiles because they were built to run in a laptop, because they don't get as hot. Yes everything is unlocked on the mobiles... the best overclockers ever in my opinion.
The Stargate MMORPG
Closed Thread