Cable Mess Hell & CPU Cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew Jolly

Solid State Member
I have just replaced the fan on my northbridge, which is now nice and quiet, but I want to sort out the cable hell that is going on in my case. There is PSU Cable everywhere, as well as all the cabling from my HD, CD, DVD etc. (is that called IDE)?

What is the recommended way of sorting all this out? Do I have to take everything out to do it? I think it is effecting the airflow in the case, as my CPU and Mobo temps are quite high.

Which brings me onto the next question. Whilst I was switching the fan on the Northbridge, I tried to remove the CPU heatsink to clean it out of dust. At the moment my CPU is running at 55C (I only have an Athlon 1 gig), and my motherboard is at 29C. Both according to the monitor that came with my motherboards (ASUS probe).

Is the problem likely to be temperature in the case, or the heatsink/fan on the CPU. And how the hell do you remove the clips on the Heatsink off the CPU Mounting? I was fiddling with a screwdriver, but didn't want to snap the screwdriver/CPU mounting, or slip and make a nasty hole in the Mobo.

Help please!

Creative cable routing is the trick. use cable ties t hold things in place and you can take PSu cables that are not needed and cut then back. Jus be sure to wrap the ends so they don't shock something. for IDE cables, there is a folding technique that is really easy and works wonders. The other option is using rounded cabels, but they tend to have issues in the long run...

good luck

You mentioned that you removed the heatsink, when you replaced it, did you replace the thermal compund? If the CPU doesn't have very good heat conductance to the heatsink, it might heat up a bit.

I haven't removed the CPU, I have tried to take the CPU off so I can clean all the dust out, but I haven't been able to unclip it.

I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction.

my case is alittle messy. But not too messy. You just need to have the right length cabling and then it should be it. Use zip ties and get rounded IDE cables.

I had the same exact problem. I wanted to take the heatsink off my cpu aswell, just yesterday. I was fiddleing and I couldn't get it off either, I didn't want to break it, just like you said. I'm also interested in getting this off, if someone would like to explain I would be pretty happy, and I'm sure he would too.

Dont use round IDE cables, as said before, u will have problems in the long run.
To take the heatsink fan off, take the Mobo out of the case, put it on a flat surface so it cant flex, there should be a place on one of the sides to put a flat screwdriver in, push down so its loose from the clips and push in towards the fan. It should pry off easily.

If you get it off, you will need to apply heatsink glue so it conducts good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom