Cable Management

Status
Not open for further replies.

FBR_BDavis

Baseband Member
I've been building computers for a long time, and I was curious about a couple things when it comes to cable management..

I usually install all of the hardware first and make sure everything is working properly, then go back and re-route all of my cables to get the cleanest look and best airflow possible.. So, essentially, I build the same computer twice.. In all, it takes about 4 hours to get to the final result..

My current system has a couple issues.. Here's a list of my system components to give you an idea of what I'm up against.. Heheh..

CoolerMaster Stacker 832 Case
Thermaltake ToughPower 850w Modular PSU
Thermaltake Power Express 650w VGA PSU
ASUS Crosshair II 780a Motherboard (24-pin and 8-pin power)
CoolerMaster V8 (Beta version) Heatsink + Fan (4-pin CPU Fan)
1 Rear 120mm Exhaust fan (3-pin fan connector)
2 Front 120mm Intake fans (2x 3-pin fan connector)
1 Topmount 120mm Exhaust fan (3-pin fan connector)
2 Underside 120mm Intake fans (2x 3-pin fan connector)
4x2GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 Tracer RED LEDs
3x MSI GTX260 OC 896MB PCI-Express x16 (6x 6-pin PCI-Express power)
2x 500GB SATA 3.0/GBs (2x SATA Power + SATA)
2x 320GB SATA 3.0/GBs (2x SATA Power + SATA)
1x 250GB SATA 3.0/GBs (SATA Power + SATA)
1x 250GB IDE (Molex power + IDE)
1x Samsung DVD-RW SATA (SATA Power + SATA)
SupremeFX PCI-x1 SoundCard (Front audio connector)

I tried to list each part and the connectors that are used.. My biggest issue in trying to route everything is that I'm running out of places to route stuff.. LOL!! I need to drill out a hole in the back of the case to pass the 650w VGA PSU power cable through since I don't have any open slots in the back of my case..

I guess the simple question is how do YOU generally route your wires, and what do you route first?? Any other thoughts or ideas are appreciated.. :)

ok well for the gpu power cable, i would make a notch either above or to the side of the main powersupply bay so it just comes out the back, just run the cable straight back, and the advantage with modular psu's is you can get the cables almost anywhere.

second: during the instalation of the motherboard into the case, you can route your sata cables, front panel/usb/audio cables behind the motherboard, and if you have a loom (for the gpu's with the power) you can ziptie them into the corners of the case.

One of the easiest things i can think of would be to sell off the hard drives and buy 2 of the 1.5TB drives :p You're really filling that case up close to its breaking point.

Yeah.. The IDE drive is going to be removed in about a week once I get everything off of it that I need, and I do intend on replacing the 3 smaller SATA drives with a couple larger units.. So, there will be more room once all of that has been done.. ;)

Thanks for the input.. Any other suggestions and/or thoughts are welcomed!!

sleeve and shrinkwrap your wires?

ill get a before and after pic of something i did so u can get some reference lol

there was no dvd in this and i do have less graphics, but i routed all the wires behind the drive bays, found a convient hole behind the psu to hide more wires, flipped my hdd around, turned a couple of the fans to get the wires out of the way, and hit my cahodes in the corners of the case

oh and i also uninstalled my usb/audio ports since i never use them

couple of my projects

The place for homemade xbox mods and halo pc mods | bmxfreakrider's page; [CCR]Rancid
The place for homemade xbox mods and halo pc mods | bmxfreakrider's page; [CCR]Rancid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom