burn-in debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently have 1,58GHz w/ 1,775v. I can run at 1,62GHz w/ 1,800 but its getting more bluescreens the longer I run it at that speed, so yesterday I set it to 1,58GHz.
Default is 1,4GHz w/ 1,750v

What I did was let it run stock everything for a week, shutting down the computer every time I walked away from it. This allowed it to heat up and cool down over 21 times during the week. You're supposed to let everything break in, and then you'll have it prepared better for overclocking. Just send gaara a PM and he'll answer you. He actually knows WHY we burn them in. He said it once, and it made sense. I just can't regurgitate it.

Ryan

lol. that makes sense, good point about turning it on and off. i still like my method :) but that does include turning it on and off frequently too i just didn't think to mention it. my mother is freaking militant about saving electricity so i don't get much choice in leaving it on. most of all i just want to see what different people do around the forum and the sort of results they get. i was expecting gaara to post too

lol i think we should have a burn in comp forum wide :p see who can get the best speed:voltage ratio.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/samsonality/vcore.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/samsonality/vcore2.jpg

Those are just rough estimates based on the potential this has demonstrated thusfar...core1 is rather weak however and core0 shows potential of hitting 2.6ish with no vcore change

Burning in is not neccesary and there's nothing wrong with overclocking right away...generally what you might notice is you might initially reach a limit but then try again a week later or so and find that you can squeeze a little bit more out of it

If you're talking about burning in, in almost all situations burning in at stock speeds is useless and you can base this on your stepping...either your core has been binned and stressed at the specified speeds already OR your core got really lax binning in which case you probably have a lot of headroom with stock vcore to bump up the speeds as I demonstrated above

So yeah, IMO you should determine how good your stepping is...if you find it is a highly acclaimed stepping you should bump up clock frequencies as high as stock vcore will take them and THEN start burning in...burning-in is often widely confused with allowing thermal compound to settle, in which case after a week or so it should drop your temperatures a few degrees and possibly allow a higher clock

So there are too many variables to determine if stressing a core increases its threshold...I would personally say yes, but at the same time overclocking out of the box isn't going to have any effect on decreasing that threshold

And FYI the results you see above are from overclocking a core out of the box...I really pretty knew what to expect though based on the stepping though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom