Built first computer, had help, still screwed

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSIScrew987

Beta member
Well i bougth all the components for a computer from Newegg.com. I must say i was happy with the service. I got all my parts and i had a friend that has built a few computers come help me. We go through and put it all together. Go back through to double and tripple check all the connectors are in their respective spots. Everthing seems good. We boot it up, it loads the WinXP install disk, we press f6 so we can install the ATA hard drive, at about that time we see something glowing. A little black box between the USB and JFP ports on my MSI MicroATX motherboard K8MM-ILSR. we shut it down as quick as possible and unplug everything. Now theres a nice burn mark on the mobo and that black thing is melted. The only thing he could think is that somehow the MOBO grounded to the case. So we pulled everything out slowly to see if we could see what went wrong but we didnt find anything.

Now for the Questions:

1:Anyone have ideas as to what happened?
2:Will newegg or MSI replace my MOBO or repair or sell me another cheaper?
3:Is there anything else that could have been damaged as well and how do i find out?

All info is needed, and thanks for your time

Doesn't the mother board have a warranty? If so call the maker of the mobo and they should send you a new one...

As to what happened... I honestly have no idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom