Building Soon. Input, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elbatrop1

Memberbot
Hey guys,

I'm gonna be building/upgrading soon, and I am looking for some input on my choices. I am probably going to buy everything locally, and build it myself.

I use the computer for everything. Photoshopping, gaming, office stuff, internet, email........ The usual kinda stuff.

I am not to big on overclocking, so I dont wanna hear about DFI or rev2s :D

I have been told that DFIs are cheaper or equivalent in price to a lot of others. This isnt really the case locally. DFI is strangely expensive:(

What I have that will go on the new comp:

Sapphire 9800 Pro (AGP)
2x512GB Generic RAM
DVD/CD burner
CRT Monitor

What I need:

Motherboard
-I was thinking of a GA-K8NS Ultra
I've been reading reviews and searching TF for it, and I have turned up some positive results for it.

CPU
-I was thinking about a 3000+ Venice. I was gonna go with a Venice because of SSE3. Not really for the OCing potential. I havent called the store to see if it is a Venice, but I will.

Case, Hard drive, and the rest
-I wont have any trouble picking these out...

That looks like a nice lineup there but if your going to get a $100+ mobo, why don't you make it a nForce4 Ultra chipset? I've heard you can get optimal performance if you go that route with Athlon 64. Gigabyte makes a nice board though.

As for the CPU, that's the exact one I'm using in my next build and I've heard great things. Good luck and happy building.

I would like to go for an NF4 chipset, but I need a mobo with AGP.

Thanks for the input, Tboltness :D

Is there any other suggestions from anyone?

My first choice would be the MSI Neo2 since it will suit your needs well. There is the DFi nF3 board out which is $160 at ncix which is cheaper than the Neo2, but it has a couple bugs that need to be worked out. However since you aren't overclocking it should do fine for you.

AMD dominates over half of the apps he listed. But, its true that Intel is a better multi-tasker.

My first choice would be the MSI Neo2 since it will suit your needs well. There is the DFi nF3 board out which is $160 at ncix which is cheaper than the Neo2, but it has a couple bugs that need to be worked out. However since you aren't overclocking it should do fine for you.

The Neo2 uses the K8T800 Pro chipset. I remember hearing somewhere that people were having trouble using ATi vid cards with VIA chipsets for some reason. I'll look into the Neo2 some more. It is around the same price as the GA-K8NS Ultra...

I was thinking about building another Intel (I'm on a P4 2.6 w/HT, now). I wanted to try an AMD system, and see what all the fuss is about.

Thanks guys, for the input:D

If anyone has anything to add, please do so :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom