Building newbie needs help with first try - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Closed Thread
Old 11-01-2004, 12:47 AM   #21 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

sure you wanna go for 754? 939 is gonna be infinitely more expandable.... but whatever you want. also if you are going for cheaper why not pick up a 9800 pro with 256mb ddr2 ram...? all i have seen give em great performance. your choice yet again.

The World is my trashcan and i intend to fill it...
Old 11-01-2004, 05:14 PM   #22 (permalink)
Newb Techie

dual channel memory is a must. As far as playing EQ2....i am beta testing it with an fx5200 card and it's really not good at all so I'd imaging your current card is definately a NO go. Even the top of the line cards like the 6800 PE and the Radeon X800 can't play the game with all the bells and whistles going. Keep in mind SOE is designing this game with next years top of the line specs in mind when playing it.

Old 11-01-2004, 05:19 PM   #23 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to Nvidia fan boy

Yea but they say that w/ doom3 and i play it w/ EVERYTHING turned up. I have no prob w/ it so i think w/ what he is buying then he should have no prob. I would recomend a 939 though.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:47 PM   #24 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

i am beta testing it with an fx5200 card
The FX5200 is a mainstream card and wasn't meant for extreme graphics like the 5700 was. The FX5200 wasn't made for heavy gaming at all. Read about it here:

Nvidia clearly states it at the bottom. Yours is a mainstream model opposed to a performance model so really you don't have a good enough card to justify what performance he'll receive. All I know is that if he gets the eVGA 6800GT he can overclock it up to and possibly past Ultra speeds and that'll handle anything you throw at it maxed out settings. Haven't seen EQ2 yet though either.

Closed Thread