Building a new pc - lil help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thor

Solid State Member
Hi every one im new here, ok im building a pc, my bugget was £1300 but im over shot by that now by about 600£.

A few questions i have as i have never made a pc before and not to sure on compatability.

Will the below be a good gaming machine ?
and will it all be compatable ?

Cpu - AAMD (San Diego) Athlon 64bit 4000+ 939pin 1mb L2cache Retail Boxed Processor

Mobo - Asus A8N-Sli Deluxe

Mouse - Razor diamond back magma

GFX - BFG GeForce 6800 Ultra OC 256MB DDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (BFGW68256UOCX) (GX-002-BG)

Psu - Enermax Noisetaker 600W EG701AX-VE(W) SFMA ATX2.0 SLI Compliant

OS - Win XP

HDD - Western digital 74 gb 10,000 rpm

Ram - OCZ 1GB (2 x 512MB) PC4800 Dual Channel Platinum Series EL-DDR CAS2.5 (MY-055-OC)

DVD/CD-RW - Sony Dwu-26a

Key board - saitek gaming keyboard with 9 programmable buttons

Mouse mat - Ice mat

Case - Asus Vento 3600 (Blue)

DVD-r - Asus DVD

Fan - Antec 120 mm fan / smartcool 80 mm fan

Cpu Fan - Coolmaster hyper 48 cooler

Now im stuck with what monitor to get so im hoping that some one will share some advice on what a good gaming moniter is to get, wether it be CRT or TFT and preferably 19" with good refresh rate, dont really want to spend more than 300

The monitor i was thinking about is the - IIyama Vision Master Pro 454 19" CRT DiamondTron Monitor (MO-023-IY) which is £233

The other thing if every thing is compatable, is there a better case than the Asus Ventro ? because i should imagine theres going to be alot of heat and dont know if the case is any good.

So theres the above Have ordered some parts today, Will this be a good gaming platform ? Or what can i do to tweak it to make it better ? The proccessor im happy with, and the Psu and HDD. But im not a hardware man im a software man, so any advice will be greatly appricated.

Thanks cHk4

That's pretty kickass man. If you can afford that, I wouldn't change anything. However, if you want to save yourself some cash (you said you were over the budget) then I have a few suggestions.

First off, if you're crunched for money, PC3200 RAM will work just fine. Get some stuff you can overclock, and you can get some great results from it. Second, you don't really need a 6800 Ultra. You can get a 6800 GT much cheaper, and overclock it to Ultra speeds. You could also get a cheaper processor, but you said you want to keep that.

Anyway, if you can afford all of that, then go with it man. And happy gaming.:)

OH! The new graphics cards come out VERY soon, maybe even today I heard? Anyway, might want to look into one of those if you have the dough.

Yea, ive looked at a few things,

i got a tax rebate of £1000 which is good, yea the new gfx come out tommorow, im going on holiday in 6 days time so will be buying all before i go so when i come back i can buy :D Only reason i had that budget is cause of my gf lol. I really want to see what the new gfx cards are like, wether it will be worth getting them or sticking to the 6800 =x

thanks for your reply mate, greatly appricated, my main scare was that it wouldnt be compatiable, and if i have to wait a extra month to get the new 7800 series i will, only if its worth it ^_^

God, that case is ugly.... and it is £100.... for only a little bit more you can get this case (remember, you have to live with the case, so if you like the case, I would recomend getting it) http://www.coolermaster.com/index.p..._serial=STC-T01&other_title=STC-T01CM Stacker

If you haven't brought it all, I will help you save some money.

Get the AMD 64 3700 san diego - but you already got the 4000 (still there is nothing wrong with it)

Get a DFI lanparty board

Get a 6800gt (in a days time, when the 7800 comes out in the UK, may help prices.)

Get OCZ platinum rev. 2 PC3200 - its a great overclocker.

For harddrive, it is faster getting 2 hdd. in a RAID 0 array.

For the heatsink, the Zalman 7700cu is a great one.

For the monitor, I have never heard of IIyama. But I can guide you on a good one. CRT is better for gaming, it is also cheaper. What you want it one that has a high refresh rate, at a good resolution. A dot pitch that is below 0.25. Also get a flat screen, for reduced reflection.

edit, for my slow typing, if you are waiting the ATI cards look to be very good.

Honestly, I don't know that they're exactly what I'd say "worth it" quite yet. I personally would go with a 6800 GT and overclock it, because I don't think the Ultra is worth it (the extra cash for something you can achieve with a 6800 GT). However, if you can afford the Ultra and are happy getting it, then more power to you man. I think if you can be patient, maybe you should see what the prices of the new cards are and how they perform. Then decide which card you want.

Yea GFX is something i will order day before i go away because i can see the prices dropping, yea that case is really sexy, my brother has one for his pc

zalman 7700cu will have to search for it, any estimate on cost?

Yea way =x i think if i wait till after my holiday the prices of the gfx would of come right down =x gah in 2 minds 6800 or 7800 :/

I think it is close to $47 or $48 on newegg. It is between $45 and $50 for sure though.

Ok, just my 2 cents here. Hes getting the 4000. Why does he need the ocz plat rev 2 to overclock a 4000? All he needs is some ram that will do around 230-240 fsb.

Hacp a quicky mate, will the ram im on about getting work with my mobo if you know getting ram in 2 days time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom