building main system(memory,cpu,vid,hd)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brackus

Solid State Member
I have a scorpio case w 3 case fans, psu with 2 but i think it all still runs pretty hot as my 2500+is running 50c with a volcaon 7 on 4500rpm oc'd to 400fsb (2.2ghz) with actic silver3 and a geforece 4ti4200 with a big heatsink/fan but it runs pretty hot as well,

I am running 512pc3200 on an asrock k7v88 board, it supports dual channel, should I go for dual channel ram and what?it has 4 dual channel slots,2x2 i was thinking 512x2 and put this other ram in my 2600 systemthat will be going to 400 soon as i get another mobo with 400fsb for proc,

Do you think a better heatsink/fan would do the job?? maybe some arctic silver 5? i dont needanymore case fans and i want maybe a quieter cpufan as the volcano is quite loud,looking for the cheapest/best bargain parts out there,especially on the dual channel ram, if anyone thinks that would make a difference

Iam in Canada so getting some things is harder from some places, thanks for the time reading this,

Dustin

I think getting a Thermaltake silent boost would help plus AS5 too. I would recomend getting good ram instead of cheap to. That and if you have your cpu OC'd so much it would run hot anywyas. I had my old 2600+ OC'd to 2.3ghz and it ran at 47c.

dual channel ddr?

still wondering if its worth it to go for some top notch dual channel pc3200 ram, and would 4x256mb be faster than 2x512mb conventional???

i tend to notice a slowdown when most computers need to use more than one chip of ram

my 2400+ XP in my secondary computer runs 54C, not overclocking or anything and it's got an aftermarket heatsink....but you definitely don't want to do 4x256 and getting dual channel to work that way would probably be harder. You need to check with your manual but to get dual channel you usually have to put the RAM in the two slots that are different colors. Each colors represents a channel, either Channel A or Channel B, if your board has 4 slots I'm assuming they have alternating colors? If no colors then check with your motherboards manual to find out the correct slot combo for dual channel.

You'd want to use 2x512 BUT, if you've already got a 512mb stick and are ordering another, they have to be EXACTLY the same make and model for it to work in Dual Channel. Sometimes even when you do get the exact stick it might not necessarily work because every stick is a little bit different. That's why when you get a 1gb Kit of ram that says it's 'Dual Channel' what they really mean is that that pair of 512mb sticks have been tested and run in dual channel mode. RAM Does not simply 'come' as dual channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom