Building M7NCD Biostar - problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dien

Solid State Member
Building M7NCD Biostar - changed Mobo to AN7 ABIT: No POST, No Display

I'm pretty new at building (I've built 2 previous computers) so... just be warned. haha.

I went to Partspc.com and ordered an M7NCD Biostar Socket A nforce2 400
(http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdetails.asp?model=m7ncd)

and an AMD Athlon 2700+ 333FSB - came with stock HSF (kept the original thermal pad on it)
the HSF was hard to install... but I doubt I damaged the cpu.
And the CPU was already installed by the company I ordered from.

(I don't remember the site telling me what core the proc. was... it was a bundle so I didn't really bother to check compatibility or whatever because it should obviously work together...)

and I got the rest separately:

Maxtor ATA 133 60GB HDD
Nvidia Geforce 5200FX 128 PCI
1 stick-- 512MB Elixir RAM
(I've been told this motherboard doesn't like cheap ram... I don't know exactly what to consider cheap... I got it from compgeeks.com, 73$)
450W PSU

now the problem:

I turn it on... nothing lights up... but the CPU and PSU fans run... and it beeps the same 2 beeps over and over again lol... ill record it and post a link to it.
Oh, and nothing shows up on the monitor.

I have a Phoenix/Award BIOS

I can't tell if its beeping about the CPU (god I hope not lol) or the RAM... but... since the monitor doesn't show anything.... agh. IS IT THE CPU? XD

when I find my digi cam ill post an audio clip...

its kind of like a siren - high / low beeps.

I'm trying to take the stubborn HSF off now....lol to see if maybe I somehow crushed the CPU.... :(..... might be a long time before I can get it off though haha.

------------------
update:
removed the RAM and video card then turned the PC on --
did a little up-slide noise then did its siren noise again.

I put the video card back in and turned it on - same siren beep as it does when the RAM is in, no slide.

Gave up trying to remove HSF... I keep thinking ill break it

--------------------

Update #2:
got the HSF off and everything... everything seems like it should be working!
now I noticed that when it starts beeping, the CPU Fan stops moving...

is there a way to test the HSF?

Try taking out your video card and memory then putting it back in. Making sure that the clamps for the memory lock it into place. That or maybe your CPU needs to be taken out and put back in... Be gentle on it though.

Did that.

I took out both the Memory and the Video card and turned it on to see what noises it made then...
it did a slide up noise then did the siren beep thing again
so I put the video card back,
turned it on,
did the same noise as it does with the RAM in...

I started to take the HSF off, but its so hard to remove and put on...
I'll have to do it eventually though, right? lol XD

Yep. Just use caution though.... precision is the key. If you feel you are using to much force then your are, because it shouldn't be that hard to take off.

HSF and CPU are in right... so it seems.
I took the thermal pad off and put on some thermal paste that was shipped with the stuff I ordered. its some Generic stuff I guess.

I just noticed that that Fan stops spinning after like 3 seconds from power-on.

Also, for the hell of it, I took my CMOS battery out... and my dad decided to test it
it comes up dead. Would that really cause no display and beeping though?

I'm so confused!

Did he put the CMOS battery back in before testing it? Usually that how I reset my cmos and it clears my bios settings to default... I have never tried running the computer with it out.

it might be the compatibilty with the cpu. i have that same motherboard and i use an AMD 2500+. its a cheap motherboard so i dont think it supports very high powered cpus. It might be your videocard. try and use another videocard from another computer. When i built my computer it fired up the first try. never had any problems.

I haven't put the CMOS battery back in since it seems to be dead (tested with 2 battery testers and then my did rigged some weird thing up with wires and it still came up dead)
im going to buy another one tomorrow.

xteam:
I was thinking about trying a different vid. card, ill try it tomorrow and see how it goes.

Agh. I'd hate to buy another CPU... whats the core of the CPU you use? or even... can you send me a link to it lol, if its not too much trouble. I don't want to end up buying something [again] that doesn't work XD

According to the AwardBIOS beep code things, the beep it emits is telling me the cpu is bad or there's something wrong temp.-wise... so, yeah... CPU must not be supported.
Unless I damaged it (the place I bought it from said they tested it, so shouldn't it run?)

Is it supposed to damage extremely easily? I mean, sure, I had a little bit of trouble installing the [cheap] heatsink, but I seriously doubt I would've hurt it...

Thanks for the responses, by the way! :)

lol, I forgot to bookmark the site... Haven't done much with the computer anyways.

I took the HSF off yet again and decided, since this was my first time even using a shim and the computers I built before worked fine without one, I'd take it off. I also reseated the CPU.

Now that I've taken the shim off and put everything back together, it doesn't do the siren beepy thing and the fans spin forever.
But there's no monitor display. And there's no POST beep.
Everything lights up.

RAM problem? CPU damaged? dead mobo?

I still haven't tried swapping out the vid card. I probably will tomorrow since I don't have anything else to do.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I've taken the RAM out and it doesn't make any sound. Also put the RAM in the other slot because I read somewhere that someone w/ my mobo got it working only when they put it in the 2nd slot... weird, I know.

I've cleared CMOS a million times...
but I also once, forgot to unplug the ATX power thing.
Also another time I accidentally turned it on when the shunt was in clear position...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom