Building Into Small Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

trekkie00

In Runtime
I'm considering buying the parts to a new computer and installing them into a very old Mac case. However, the case itself is only a few inches high (i think about 4). How well do you think the things will fit into it?

Also, as it is only a few inches high, to attach a graphics card I would need some sort of right-angle connector. Do they sell these and, if so, where?

Thanks for your help.

Yeah, it doesn't. I saw this guy selling a PC built into a Mac, and I asked him how he did it, and he said he had to do quite a bit of modding to get it all in. He just has a standard desktop Mac, it wasn't that old. It was one of the ones with two handles at each end.

I am willing to mod the inside of the case quite heavily if necessary. I just think it'd be neat playing games on what appears on the outside to be a Mac from 1993.

I think you could fit a lot in there. Find a motherboard with all onboard video, network and sound so you dont have to worry about squeezing those cards in there. The hard drive shouldnt be a problem, and if it is, you could always put in a notebook hard drive as theyre the same IDE and power (i think?). The only thing I forsee being a problem is the power supply. What are your plans for fitting the power supply in there? I think it could fit in 4 inches of height but how long is it? If its long and wide enough, you can squeeze a PSU in there. But the best idea is to just get a cheap motherboard with all onboard stuff.

This project sounds really cool, its giving me ideas! I'd love to see some pictures of it.

I should have done this before posting, but I just measured the motherboard currently installed and will need either a Flex ATX or Mini ITX motherboard to fit correctly. Unfortunately, I was hoping to have this be a low-budget system, and both those options seem too expensive right now for me. However, I also have a (very) old VCR that doesnt' work anymore. It is about the same height, but much longer and wider. That'll make it much easier for me to fit everything in, even when using an ATX motherboard. Still, because of the height, I am worried about everything fitting in.

The old computer I had originally planned to gut was a Centris 610 (like the pic except w/o optical drive). Fortunately it still works, so if I ever find a mouse and keyboard to work with it, I can use it.

Well, with some fitting of the components, I think I can get everything to barely fit into the case. However, it would need to use an external power supply. Do they sell these? Where would I be able to get one? What kind of power output do they put out?

Thanks for all the help. This would be my first comp build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom