Building help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbernie41

In Runtime
So I got my hands on an old computer. AMD 450 mhz, just to give you an idea of the age. I turned it on and everything worked fine but I decided to completely take it apart and reassemble it. Now when I try to start it up the lights come on and I can hear the processor but the little speaker inside the case, instead of making one beep it just keeps going and my system doenst boot up. Does anyone know or have any suggestions on how to fix this?

the beeps are bios codes. They tell you whats wrong. So its probably something you didn't seat right. try re-seating everything. Look in the manual to see what those beep codes mean. They loop so be warry

look at the manual for the motherboard or sometimes there is a sticker on the case saying how to connect everything. You probobly just have something hooked up wrong.

I dont have a manual for the mobo and there arent directions on the case because it was a custom built comp. I disassembled the whole thing on a carpet floor. Is it possible that static electricity fried something?

yes, that is a possiblity, since it take 20 volts(or watts i can't remember) to fry a semiconductor, whereas it takes 2000 for us to feel static.

Arent the components sheilded against static?
I have disassembled my comp on my carpet loads of times with no probs.

as have I....as long as you put a hand on the case and ground yourself i dont think you need to worry about that....something is wired wrong....that is most likely what the beep means.

Well I have messed with this a ton and I still have the same problem. I noticed that when I turn the main power switch to on, on the back of the computer the lights on my keyboard just flash on then stay off even after I try to boot it up. The fan on my processer works. The fan in my power supply works. I previously thought it was my hard drive but now im starting to think that isnt the case. Do you think I fried my motherboard?

I will listen to any and all advice or thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom