building a good half life 2 pc

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of problems did you have? AMD's have shorter pipelines and therefore can get more done per clock cycle than Intels..that's why AMD's have lower clock speeds but get just as much done if not more. When you see a 64 with the name like AMD64 3500+ that means approximately it's equivelant to that of a 3.5GHz Intel machine..Generally the 'rule of thumb' or generalized thought about each processor is AMD For games, Intel for Apps because of their bigger pipelines.

The rig in mah sig is my Doom 3 rig, and wow, flawless.
ASUS video card was overclocked and softmodded.
1 gig ASUS memory dual channel at 800mhz
ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe mobo is nice, has 8.1 channel onboard audio, but poor tech support.
Oh man you just went ASUS'd out...bah can't stand them, I never want a part from ASUS again, and yeah tech support is beyond terrible...like I've always said unless you can speak taiwanese you're pretty screwed

ok then which amd64 would you suggest between 3200 -3500. is there really that big of a diff between them? and what about mobo and ram?

well essentially one is about the equivelant of 3.2GHz and the other 3.5Ghz....can't remember, think it was apokolipse that confirmed it that they do infact sell 3200+ in socket 939 because you definitely want socket 939 and when I was helping a guy build his computer 3500+ was the lowest chip available for the socket 939 board.

As for a mobo I suggest either the ABit AV8-3rd Eye or MSI Neo2-Platinum, both are good manufacturers, stable boards, and will have more than adequate functions and options in the BIOS.

As far as RAM you can't go wrong with a pair of Corsair XMS or even kingston HyperX but it seems most people, here especially, have Corsair.

to geo3tech
if you would readthe whole post then you would see how much i want spend.

I would expect there be more issues with Intel CPU's than AMD CPU's
the Sempron's and Athlon 64 CPU's are designed so that they can process every 32-bit instruction, even the ones not used by software yet
the Intel CPU's on the other hand sometimes cannot process some 32-bit instructions because they are not capable of it
it's a bit like 2 people speaking english, one can speak english better than the other

if you already have a motherboard at your side, then you can get a pretty good sig for 1000.

RAM - 1 gig Corsair XMS series - $300
MOBO - Asus A8V or Msi socket 939s- $100
CPU - AMD 64 3500 - $280
Sound card -50~$100
Hard drive Rapter 36gig 10000rpm - $120 or just get seagate/WD 160 gigs for like $70 bucks at best buy with rebates
DVD+RW dual layer - $80
or just CD+RW/DVD combo - 6$0

it's close to 1000 bucks. pretty slick sig if you ask me.

thats not bad thanks for the replies. ok heres another question. wats the diff between the value series and extreme editions ram or watever they are called. basically i was told to get the higher end sticks if i want to overclock. but im not going to overclock anything so would the Value series be any good to me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom