building a gaming rig...

Status
Not open for further replies.

eggsa

Beta member
Can anyone help me? I'm thinking about building a new computer since it would be cheaper than buying any new ones. I will probably use newegg.com, but can anyone direct me to a site or list everything I'll need to get? I'm trying to keep it under $1000 (under $800 if possible). I can't seem to find any site, nor anyone, that will tell me what I'll need to buy. Thank you anyone who can help:D

Oh...I forgot to mention, I need power...Enough to run games such as Far Cry in farely high resolution, if not the highest it will go...

This can be kind of complicated lol. Do you have any parts at all? Like an old computer to take parts from? That can save you a lot. Monitors are like 100 for a decent one. Then there is the keyboard, mourse, etc. which all add up.

Here are the basic parts:

Motherboard
CPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Video Card
Sound Card
Case/Power Supply

I'd go with this:
AMD CPU ~ 2500+ or so
Abit NF7-S motherboard
PC2700 RAM 512 MB (from Newegg)
At least 40 gig hard drive (more would be good)
Video Card (use what is left - the radeon 9600XT is good)
Basic Soundblaster would be fine
Standard case (probably get this from a store since it is heavy)

If you can take any parts from an old computer, you would be able to get a better PC. Use that as a starting point. Lookup that stuff on newegg and ask any questions that you may have. Also, estimate about how much it will be. We can go from there. I will help you as needed.

Alright, thanks. I've already got the keyboard, mouse, and all that (I'll need to get some new speakers and I'm thinking of getting a new monitor but first I just want to get the actual pc built). Not sure on everything in my computer but this is what I do know: AMD Athlon 800mhz, 32MB nVidia RIVA TNT2 M64 graphics card, 30GB hard drive, 12./40x DVD ROM Drive, Read and Write 8x/4x/32x IDE CDROM Drive, 3.5" 1.44 MB Floppy Disk Drive, 384 RAM, and I upgraded to Windows XP. That's about all I know...

for under $1000 you might not be able to run FarCry with all the eye candy, but itd look pretty good. dont skimp on the video card, i've found that a good video card can do more than a good processor

Ok I found two CPUs (I think), which would be better and are they as good/better than the 2500+ you mentioned?

Intel Pentium 4/ 2.8E(or 3.2), GHz 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, Hyper Threading Technology
or
AMD Athlon XP 2600+ "Barton", 333MHz FSB, 512K Cache Processor

I couldn't find the NF7-S on newegg (I'll look other places later) but i found this, would it work or does it suck?

ABIT "NF7-M" nForce2 IGP Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU

Here is the NF7-S on newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-127-166&depa=1

I'd go with the AMD. That is my preference (which may start an all out war). They are very close but I prefer AMD. AMD is cheaper in price than Pentium also. For whichever cpu you get, the ones that say retail box come with a decent heatsink and fan. If you get the OEM cpu, you will need to buy a heatsink and fan separate.

And if you do choose a Pentium, you will need a different motherboard. I'm not sure which Pentium boards are good, since I only deal with AMD.

If your going for gaming a good video card is good. When I said get a video card with what is left, I was considering that there would be a fair amount from your 1000 left. A video card is probably the most important. I'm not a expert on them but I hear the ATI 9600XT is good. Do a google search for video card benchmarks for the game that you will be playing. They rate the different cards. If its a new game they might not have any tests yet but its worth a try.

Also, be sure to add everything up to see how much is left. Excel works good for this.

I'd get an Athlon 64 3000+/3200+ with a Gigabyte K8N Pro board
those Athlon 64's aren't much more cost - if there even are higher priced - compared to your average (new) pentium 4
plus the K8N Pro board is a descent but inexpensive board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom