Building Gaming AMD:$1000 to spend

Status
Not open for further replies.

evilgamez

Beta member
I'm in need of help since my cruddy 2 year old dell just broke down on me and can't run any new games.
Well, i'm in need of some input and opinions on building a good gaming computer and i have about $1000 to spend. I don't need a monitor.

I'm going to base the whole computer around the AMD athlon 64 cpu, so build from there. Parts and prices would help a lot. I just need to get a computer up and running soon since gaming is everything!

Thanks!

Good choice the AMD is. You should check out newegg.com, pricewatch.com, or spartantech.com to find cheap prices. I can give you a rough guide though.

By the way, I'm new here.

Reputable motherboard companies: A-Bit, Gigabyte, ASUS less as of late.
Graphics Card: ATI 9800 Pro and up, Nvidia GeForce 6600 GT and up.
Get a S-ATA hard drive instead of IDE, they are faster, though require a tiny bit more setup. Seagates are slower but known for being quiet, and Western Digitals (Raptor in particular) are loud but very fast.

DVD-RW is pretty much the way to go since they do what a DVD player, CD player, and CD-RW all do as well.
Definitely get a 3 1/2 floppy!

Lian-Li makes pretty much the best cases but are expensive (100+ USD)

MAKE SURE you get a good power supply with plenty of watts, at least 400+. I like my Fortron 530watt PSU. They can get expensive but it's worth it.
Make sure you get Arctic Silver 5 thermal grease and DONT PUT TOO MUCH ON.

So far i have this in mind:

Mobo: chaintech nvidia nforce4 ultra
CPU: Amd64 3200+ winchester
Memory: 1Gig of pc3200, not sure about brand
Graphics card: 6600gt
Case: need help choosing one, maybe thermaltake tsunami
Hard drive: s-ata hard drive, around 150gigs

Tell me what you think

Thanks

with ram, go with the kingston or corsiar
whichever one is cheaper
make sure you get the right card, if you motherboard is AGP get the AGP 6600GT, if it is PCI Express (PCI-E) get the PCI-E 6600GT
For case, choose one that suites what you like, cause your the one looking at it:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom