Building first Gaming Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
SLI doesnt have an advantage in some older games.

He has the money to waste on SLI. It's not nessesary, but unless you guys have some better options for 3 grand, shoot.

He could also spend less than his budget and get a single Ultra though...

Yes, but it could be a rather long wait. :p

I would also stay away from SLI, I mean sure, you could afford it if you really wanted to, but I am certain you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between an SLI setup or a single high end card like a 6800 Ultra or x850XT.

Also, if you only buy one card now, you'll have money left over to dish out on a new, next generation card that's due out in a little more than a month. I'm quite certain that two 6800GT's in SLI would crumble to their knees when we see these new 24 pipeline, 512bit cards.

A really good investment in my opinion would be a phase change kit of some sort, you would have to sacrifice a few of your components, but a phase change kit can literally push your CPU to its architechtural limit. Plus you can keep continue to use it if you ever put together a new machine (hopefully).

I think gaara's right there. He should buy a single high-end card and be under budget, and spend the rest on the new cards. Like a single high-end card would last slience03 a good....6th months without feeling any aging at all....by that time the 512 mb (you do mean 512 mb instead of 512 bit, right garra?) would be somewhat...affordable.

We haven't completly answered his questions....
I'd recommend:
AMD 64-bit 3500 - $300
Compatable mobo w/ PCIe (i'm really bad at chosing mobo's) - $300
2 gigs of RAM - $250
300 gig HD - $200
6800 GT - $250
Case/power supply - 150
dual layer DVD drive - $150

I think i missed something...I can't remember though. Correct me if my prices are wrong or I'm missing stuff. Feel free to fill in the blank specifications as well...

And i know i'm under budget sue me.

with the hard drives get two 36gig raptors or two 74gig raptors and then stripe them. then get like a good 300 gig drive. that way you put all your programs on the raptors and all the info and stuff on the 300.

with that kind of money i think he should shoot for an fx cpu.

forget sli and get a good pcie-16 card and you'll be good.

Where is this info that nvidia is releasing their next card next month?

I mean, SLI will be his biggest peformance increase for the money.

Probably Nvida home...but I dont' think Nvida's realeasing it. I think it's ATI. No...it won't. SLI isn't 100% combatable...and you can't fully use 100% of the potential on even a 8x AGP card, so the SLI's just for bragging rights, and bored pplz w/ deep pockets.

Thanks for all the input so far guys. I'm not able to say much now because work as been really busy the past couple of days. The reason why I said between 2000-3000 is because I have a good firend who sells computer parts and is able to get almost 50-60% off any item. So I'm really only looking to spend about 1000-1500 of my money for a decent machine. I'll be able to post some more in a couple of days to let you guys know which direction I'm heading in, in terms of Mobo and CPU. Thanks for the advice guys.

I think your friend probolly gets them just slightly cheaper than we get them.

We pay 50% off what most of the general public pays on TF too.

Alright, I think I've decided on a couple of parts I'm going to start off with. Let me know what you guys think. Give me some advice on if I change any of these or stay with them, since I dont know as much about compuers as you guys do. Here we go...

MOBO: DFI "LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR" NVIDIA nForce4 SLI Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 939 CPU

CPU: AMD Socket 939 Athlon 64 4000+, 2.4 GHz, 1MB L2 Cache 64-bit Processor - Retail

Would these be a good start to my comp or should I switch one or both of them out for something else. Also, which video card do you guys think I should go with? I'm not going to go with 2 graphics card, so i just need one really good one. Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom