building first computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

nedwoo

Beta member
I am building my first computer and was wondering if the motherboard and processor i plan on getting are compatible with each other. I was thinking about getting a Pentium 4 2.8E 800MHz but switched to the Pentium Xeon. Any suggestions would be helpful

Here are the specifications for the motherboard and processor

Motherboard

GIGABYTE i865PE Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU
Model "GA-8IPE1000-G"

Supported CPU: Socket 478 Intel Pentium 4 Processor (HT Ready, Prescott Ready)
Chipset: Intel 865PE + ICH5
FSB: 800/533/400MHz
RAM: 4x DIMM for Dual Channel DDR400/333/266 Max 4GB
IDE : 2x UltraDMA 100 Bus Master IDE up to 4 Devices
Slots: 1x AGP 8X/4X(1.5V only), 5x PCI
Ports: 2xPS/2,1xLPT,2xCOM,8xUSB2.0(Rear 4),1xLAN,1xGAME,Audio Ports
Onboard Audio: Realtek ALC850 8-CH CODEC
Onboard LAN: Marvell 8001 Gigabit Ethernet
Onboard SATA: 2 x SATA 150
Form Factor: ATX

$89.99

Processor

Intel Xeon 2.4 GHz 533MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Hyper Threading Technology

Model: Intel Xeon 2.4 w/ Hyper Threading
Core: Prestonia
Operating Frequency: 2.4GHz
FSB: 533MHz
Cache: L1/12K+8K; L2/512K
Voltage: 1.475V
Process: 0.13Micron
Socket: Socket 604
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2
Warranty: 3-year MFG
Packaging: Retail box (with Heatsink and Fan)

$235.00

Thanks, wasn't really sure what the difference was in the Pentium 4 and the Xeon, but do you think the Pentium 4 I considered would be a good choice

nedwoo said:
Thanks, wasn't really sure what the difference was in the Pentium 4 and the Xeon, but do you think the Pentium 4 I considered would be a good choice

ok the difference is, with the xeon, its usally used to run servers. There are 2 CPU's. The reason y there are 2 CPU's is becuase a server takes a lot of power to run. Like in the cpu so if u try to run it on a P4, its not gonna work too well... I may be wrong on this but i think u have 2 different desktops too? im not sure though so.. But like with the P4 its just like a regular home cpu used by the average user.. With the HT on the P4, it allows u to run more programs at once. its nick name is "pipe line" technology. I will give u a EX. say if you have a big tank of water and u need to drain it out. If you put 1 pump in there it will be good but if you put 2 or 3 pumps in there it will be faster... thats bacisally what it is. Its a pretty bad example but its 9:00 AM here and im tired :p

kool people are actually building computers them selves now thats good to see im 13 and i built my first computer a couple of weeks ago abd it works now so i thinks it great that people are building computers them selves its great to see:)

lol na building a computer isan't like dirty work lol. Working outside and doing stuff outside is dirty lol. That really may sound gay but i cant think of any other way of putting it.

nedwoo said:

Back in de PIII age they didn't differ much, but now...
Why do you wanna buy a Xeon anyways? They're only useful in dual proc. setups, even then i'd go for a Athlon MP....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom