Building a computer - Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yaaale2

Beta member
Okay so this is my first time building a computer and IÂ’m having a friend help me out. I plan to do a lot of gaming, listening to music, and music downloading. I know some stuff about computers but not a whole lot. Just wondering what you guys think? Your opinions? Any suggestions or recommendations?

Case – In the process of deciding $40

CD/DVD burner – Samsung $55

Hard Drive – Maxtor 80 GB $63

Memory - Kingmax 184 Pin 512 MB $67

Motherboard – Chaintech nForce3 $72

Monitor - Don't know yet $100 or a little more

Processor - AMD Athlon 64 3000 $151

Video Card – Gigabyte nVidia GeForce 5900XT $180

Total: $728.

On a tight budget of $800. My friend recommended that I shop at newegg.com. I will use my old mouse, keyboard, and speakers.

First, you cannot get a gaming case for 40$. A 50$ case will have no good features. The case is the most original peice of the computer. So your gonna wanna be creative and will have to spend a nice buck.

Yes, if your going AMD definitely get socket 939. The best motherboards for socket 939 is gonna be the
Asus A8V Deluxe VIA Socket 939 ATX Motherboard and
Abit AV8-3rd Eye Via K8T800 Pro.

I would also get better RAM, 512mb 400mhz. Your not gonna get a monitor for 100$. Anything that is half decent. If you want a gaming computer your gonna have to spend some money.

I would also get a new video card. That cards Chipset/Core Speed is only 390mhz and Memory/Effective Speed is 700mhz. I would at least get 400mhz for clock core and at least 800mhz for Memory/Effective Speed . I would go with Western Digital for Hard Drives. You can get 80 GB for around 65$ of course at 7200rpm ATA. Your just gonna have to spend more money. 700$ computer wont be a gaming computer.

4W4K3, that card maybe overclockable, but does it really look like he is gonna or even has money to over clock that thing. I would drop that card.

Codeine said:
4W4K3, that card maybe overclockable, but does it really look like he is gonna or even has money to over clock that thing. I would drop that card.

Overclocking doesnt cost money. i dont understand what you mean? it comes with a giant cooler and a fast RPM fan, so upgrading cooling is pointless unless he wants to do vmods. That's one of the best 5900XT's made, it comes with very flexible ram chips and is very well built. Leadtek uses quality PCB in there cards. I'd say for the extra $10 it's worth it, but that's just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom