Building a computer...one problem - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 04:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Building a computer...one problem

I am building my own computer (first time). It is all put together, as per manufactures instructions. When I turn the computer on, it goes through setup as normal. Then, during operating system (OS) installation, the computer shuts down and emits a warning beep continuously. I am assumming that is is some kind of overheating problem with either the processor, heat sink, and CPU fan. Heat sink fan is working. Heat sink gets hot to the touch. CPU is AMD athalon 2600plus. What other options should I be looking for or what remedies can I do? I bought the processor used (I can still return it), is it possible that it could be overclocked and damaged? Any ideas or thoughts? Thanks.

Old 07-08-2004, 05:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to beedubaya

Try updating your BIOS. Sometimes older BIOS versions don't like Windows 2000 or XP very well. You mention that you think its a cooling problem, so how many fans you you have in your case?

Old 07-08-2004, 07:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default fans and win98

I was trying to install Windows 98, and then I would upgrade to ME using the disk I already have.
I have 4 fans, 2 case fans, one heat sink fan and one fan in the power supply. I have just heard that overheating can do this "beeping" but with the amount of fans I have, I thought maybe it was something else. The motherboard is actually beeping, and if I unplug it, it stops. Any ideas?
Old 07-08-2004, 07:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
XT
Ultra Techie

Default Re: fans and win98

Quote:
Originally posted by cacocy99
I was trying to install Windows 98, and then I would upgrade to ME using the disk I already have.
I have 4 fans, 2 case fans, one heat sink fan and one fan in the power supply. I have just heard that overheating can do this "beeping" but with the amount of fans I have, I thought maybe it was something else. The motherboard is actually beeping, and if I unplug it, it stops. Any ideas?
This beeping is a form of code from your bios telling you something wrong. Consult your motherboard manual for what the code of beeps means.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

did you install the heatsink correctly, with thermal paste, etc. if its hot to the touch then u might have installed it wrong. it should only get warm at most. also, look on your motherboard for a little led, motherboards now have them and they tell u codes and u look em up the the manual to see whats wrong
Corsair XMS 2x512mb PC3200 C2PT
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 256mb
Maxtor Diamond Max 9 80GB SATA HD
Maxtor Diamond Max 10 80GB SATA HD
Lite-on 16x DVD/48x CD-rom drive
Lite-on 52x/32x/52x CD-RW Drive
Creative SB Live! 5.1 Digital
Antec SX1040BII Case
4x80mm case fans, 2 in, 2 out

Old 07-09-2004, 05:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default it is not caused by your operation

it must the hardware issue,you can get a post card which can show the condition of your motherboard with the LCD.only about $3 in USA,$1.1 in China.Also sometimes the AMD CPU is very hot,you can adjust the temperature monitor of your motherboard.

Closed Thread