Building A Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

onggie

Solid State Member
OK now down to the building of my new computer, this computer is going to be used for gaming and work related stuff. Any comments/suggestions?

P.S. The good audio card is for recording not for gaming or watching movies.

A lot of you are probably going to say "you numb skull" etc etc. I have decided to use an Intel chip. I don't want this to turn into a bashing thread , I have my reasons for using an Intel chip. And price wise I can build a 3.4ghz for the same price.

You may ask why ASUS? There are certain things that I can get for warehouse prices and I want to get those products because I don't have a big budget.

Is this a 64bit chip?
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 551 - Support EM64, Hyper threading LGA775 1MB L2 3.40 GHz 800 MHz BX80547PG3400EK

Can't choose between these 3 motherboards (but I think I want the SLI board since I would, like to upgrade in the future, though I have heard there are problems with the DELUX SLI boards :s);
Motherboard:
P5LD2 DELUXE i945P, DDR2, PCI-EX16, GBL
P5LD2 - i945P, PCI-EX16, GBL
P5ND2-SLI DELUXE P5,775,NFORCE C19,2PCI

Graphics Card: EN6600GT/TD/128M/A PCIE GF6600GT TVO DVI

Can't find a website for
Ram x2: 512MB DDR400 PC3200 ***ELIXER***

Hard Drive x2: ST3200826AS Seagate SATA NCQ 200G 8MB 7200.8

Sound Card: ACSB0350 SB Audigy 2 ZS Platinum 7.1

Case:
Cooler Master Centurion 5

I don't know much about power supplies, but I need to get a pretty quite one, nothing to expenisve and that has enough watts
PSU:

DVD ROM: ASUS DRW-1608P - Black

I need help, see below
Monitor:

Speakers: ACSP2500 Inspire 2500 2.1 speakers

I'm still undecided on what I am going to do about a monitor. I'm looking to buy a black 19" CRT but I really want an LCD because it would save so much room on my desk plus they look sleek. But as everyone knows LCD screens aren't the best for gaming because of their latency. But I have seen, I think on Tom's Hardware, they did a review on 2 LCD monitors for gaming and these monitors had a latency of 2ms or 4ms (can't remember). They said these monitors where great for gaming as it didn't trail or anything. But to get a good monitor like this I am assuming I will have to spend $500AUD+ where as I only want to spend $500AUD or less (about $380USD). So what does everyone suggest I do? CRT or LCD?

So what does everyone think? I am really looking for some input since I kinda noob when it comes to hardware.

Thank you to who ever helps me!

Yes its 64-bit, but i can't find it anywhere. I think its an oem only chip. I'll let someone else comment on the rest, i'm getting sick of looking at so many builds...

Is this a 64bit chip?

Yes it is. When an Intel CPU is designated as EM64T, that means that it can run 64 bit code.

Can't choose between these 3 motherboards (but I think I want the SLI board since I would, like to upgrade in the future, though I have heard there are problems with the DELUX SLI boards :s);
I havent really read any reviews on these boards, so I cant tell you if there are consistant problems with any of them. Perhaps a Google search for each of them might turn up something. Also, look at www.anandtech.com and www.xbitlabs.com for reviews.

Ram x2: 512MB DDR400 PC3200 ***ELIXER***

That RAM wont work in your new system. You new system is gonna take DDR2. More specifically, those boards will take up to 667MHz DDR2, but 533MHz DDR2 is more practical.

As for the PSU, get around 400W or 420W. To ensure a quiet PSU, get one that has a 120mm fan instead of an 80mm fan.

You can get LCDs with a response time of 12ms that are just fine for gaming. I have used one myself for gaming, and I didnt have any probs. 2ms or 4ms is ridiculously excessive.

Well, that about covers it. If you have anymore questions, let me/us know. If you find your post starting to sink into the depths of TF, you can PM is you like:D

I'll let someone else comment on the rest, i'm getting sick of looking at so many builds...

Oh cmon buddy! Dont get lazy on us here:D

So far so good, with my 7 month old asus board/ pentium chip. Ya, if you can afford it go for the SLI board, otherwise i bet those others are fine too.

That PSU looks really good. Not only is it made by Antec (Antec makes really good PSUs/cooling equipment), but it also has a 120mm fan, for quietness.

For you setup, the unbuffered RAM is what you need. SODIMM is for laptops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom