Building a comp w/ SATA HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

True_Orb

Daemon Poster
Is there anything special I need to know when building and installing the OS on a comp w/ a SATA drive as opposed to a regular IDE drive?
I have a copy of Windows XP Home which I plan to install and is already on this comp.

If it would help I DO have my current IDE HDD with XP Home installed in case that would be easier to use initially.

Thanks!

Yup, you need to make sure you have a floppy drive and that's basically it.

When you pop in the WinXP CD and it starts to boot and you first see that blue screen PAY ATTENTION!!! this is REALLY important...down at the bottom for like 5 seconds if that it says:

PRESS F6 TO INSTALL 3RD PARTY SCSI/RAID DRIVERS

So hit F6 right away...it'll then copy the necessary files then bring up a prompt.

You'll want to hit S to specify a mass storage drive. From there your floppy should be in the drive, select the appropriate drivers and off you go.

If you get a message like 'This is an incompatible partition' once you try to install WinXP...then make sure that SATA drive is the only drive connected and it should work.

EDIT: OMG!! I just helped satan! Your post count when I posted this was 666 :p

Your Inbox is full so I can't send any PM's. Here's what I said though:

Yeah, well like I said your motherboard SHOULD have come with a floppy but yeah you will need to go to the manufacturer site...download the drivers onto a floppy...then go about doing the format.

Boot from CD-ROM
Hit F6 as soon as you see it say so at the bottom
Make sure floppy with SATA drivers is in the floppy
It'll ask you to hit S to specify a mass storage drive
You'll select the drivers from the floppy

Then your HD will show up where the HD's and partitions normally show up on any other format.

Also though, I had 3 IDE drives hooked up in my system, and then was going to install WinXP on my new SATA drive...for whatever reason it said 'PARTITION IS INCOMPATIBLE' and I couldn't install on the drive until I unhooked all the other drives....don't know if it'll happen to you, but if it does you know how to fix it ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom