Building 1st PC - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 11:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to XkillerX

I don't plan on upgrading this system for a long time, and I think that 256MB video card will be necessary for the future, like in 3-4 years from now, so I want to stick with it.

The AA8 mobo has the DDR2 technology, and is cheaper than the AG8
I know you cant use DDR2 on a DDR board because the DDR2 is 240 pin, and and the DDR is 184 pin, but can you use DDR on a DDR2 board?

Old 12-11-2004, 11:51 AM   #12 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to 4W4K3

Quote:
Originally posted by XkillerX
You cant use DDR2 on a DDR board, but can you use DDR on a DDR2 board? I don't plan on upgrading this system for a long time, and I think that 256MB will be necessary for the future, like in 3-4 years from now.
well i dont think you can do either of them. i do believe they use different "form factors" or DIMM types and therefore are not backwards compatible.

i guess that's a good reason if you don't plan on upgrading. but in 3-4yrs. your gfx card might not even be supported by the games. it wont matter if its 512MB...the core/memory gotta keep up and it's gotta be supported. but it should hold you over for a long time, as most games will still support older cards in the future i'm sure.

Old 12-11-2004, 11:59 AM   #13 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to XkillerX

In 3-4 years time I probably won't be playing games. I'll be too busy with college work, since the college I plan on going to is CalTech. I want a video card that will last a good 2 years being able to play the new games, and then after that a reliable PC to do work on.

Closed Thread