building 1st computer ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black&Silver

Beta member
Ok I have a MSI 865pe neo2-v mobo, p4 3.2ghz,1gig ram, alien2 case 500w power supply w/5 fans, 2 wd hd, raedon 9600xt video,& dvd rom my ? is when I turn it on it runs for about 8sec then shuts down. It seems to power up all the fans run the dvd lights up any suggestions would be great Thanks in advance

Remove all extra fans and setup a box fan (or just a regular house fan) and point it towards your computer if you're worried about heat while the fans are off. Turn the computer on, see if there is any differance.

If not, plug all of the extra fans back in and use a multimeter to test the voltages of the PSU. If they all read fine, go into BIOS and check your motherboards CPU Voltage. If it seems low or you're not sure raise it to the next lowest level. If it's on auto configuration put it to the very lowest voltage, and try everything out. Keep raising the voltage to a maximum of 1.7v.

This may also be a little too high so be cautious of going too high unless you have sufficient cooling. According to your CPU you should be around 1.474-1.575 voltage. Check your PSU and see what the amperage ratings are on the 3.3V/5V rails and 12V rail. For a 500W PSU it should be around ~30 for 3.3v, ~40 5V, and also around ~30-35 on the 12V rail.

Tell me what happens with everyone. I don't know too much about the problem but I gave some help relating to the problem you described.

ok, no fans, yes beep pause.............beep beep pause beep, as far as checking voltage I would have no idea where to start

To check for voltage settings go into the BIOS. A lot of BIOS use the DEL key to enter it, some use F2. So just before you start your comp keep hitting the DEL key and see if it goes into a very plain looking screen. This is the BIOS, navigate through the menus looking for something that says 'CPU Voltage' or 'VCore,' those are most common. The number you should be looking for should be around 1.4 if that helps.

If you still can't find it refer to your motherboards manual on how to access the BIOS menu.

try unplugging the dvd drive and all the fans then take the side off and try to run it, if this doesnt work then check and see if your motherboard might be touching the case at any point(even tho it prolly shouldnt start if it is), otherwise try a different power supply and see if that helps... as a last resort unhook your harddrives too and try booting with just mobo/graphics hooked up.

When my computer did that I pluged in some speakers to my motherboards audio port and it told me exactly what was wrong. I don't know if that will work with yours though. Don't forget about tech support that you can call for free.

Thanks for the advice I am not up to par today I will let you know when I try. Again thank you for all the help.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom