Build a PC for my son for 500$

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryansrt

Solid State Member
1st off thanks for the reccomendations on the server, I got everything from newegg today except for the seagate hdd that was on back order.

OK, need to put together a PC for my 11 year old son. He plays alot of games and does the usual homework/internet type of activity that most kids do.

This is going to be his x-mas present so hook him up.

I need reccomendations that will total 500.00 incl shipping. I have a 15" LCD I am going to give him so all I need is the box, KB, mouse, & speakers.

Thanks!

PC LOAD LETTER
"PC Load letter? What the F**K does that mean!?" lol....office space...great movie

So basically you need the case, RAM, processor, motherboard, HD, graphics card, keyboard, mouse and speakers and want to pay no more than $500?

Well depending on how good of a computer for him you want to build will determin what parts I'd suggest.

What kind of games does he play right now?

How powerful of a machine are you looking to get exactly?

If you can...go through his games collection and see which ones he has unless you know so I could get a general idea of what he plays.

gonna be an amd 2500 with a 9600xt or pro, i'll bet ya it'll come to that =)
Mmm maybe, but $500 isn't that much when considering you have to buy EVERYTHING to build the computer for scratch....so with that considered... It depends on how big of HD's he gets, how many if more than one he wants, whether he wants a cd-burner, dvd-burner, a combo of both, all of that will play into what will be built...

$150 for a graphics card would cover a big chunk of the build so I really don't know if the 9600XT will be an option or not

OK, not sure what games he plays.

His current PC is basically a 1ghz duron/256/40gig/64mb gefroce/8xcd-rw.

He will be happy as h3ll with whatever he gets so I would say a good balance of parts would be great.

There are so many MBs out there, I have no idea what one to choose. I would like to do a micro-ATX setup if possibile do to space. He isn't going to be adding a ton of PCI cards.

-thanks

$80 for a mobo
$150 or $60 for gpu( i would go way less if his games dont need a good graphics card)
100 for cpu
50 for case
70 for memory 512mb
50 for harddrive
35 for CD burner
20 for kb and mouse
35 left for speakers or whatever assumeing the kid doesnt need a good gpu for his games and u can get away with a $60 card

so i think its very possible to build a good one for that price.

you can get a kb and mouse for free for the old comp during the holdiays (rebates) and prolly speakers... so you could reuse those for the new one and u cna save 55 bux...

Jared

jrdwstfll said:
you can get a kb and mouse for free for the old comp during the holdiays (rebates) and prolly speakers... so you could reuse those for the new one and u cna save 55 bux...

Jared

Can you explain? I'm also doing a build very soon and would love to know how to save some bucks on keyboard and speakers.

just look in the sunday adds at compUSA, best buy, officeMax or what ever and they always have great deals on many things after mail in rebates and yes they are often just a couple of dollars or even free

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom