Build Now or Wait? - PCI Express

Status
Not open for further replies.

PyRaX

Solid State Member
I was planning on building a computer this summer when I heard about PCI Express coming out toward the end of this year. My question is: would it make more sense to wait and not buy anything this summer and wait for PCI Express products to hit the market and use those? or to just get started this summer?
Thanks everyone,
~Greg

Welcome to the forums. I would definetly say wait. Gives you a chance to save up your money and get a little more for a little better system. I know ddr2 is going to be coming out, as well as some 64 bit software for amd. Im not sure how long for any of this stuff. if your in desperate need of a computer then buy now and upgrade later maybe?

id say buy now.. thats what im doing.. ddr2 isnt going to make much of a diff and is gona cost a hel of a lot more... pci express isnt going to be actually used to like a year later... and the only good thing is the amd new socket 939 stuff. Buy now, upgrade in a year or 2 when BTX form factor comes out :D

i agree buy now. Anything that is brand new like that is gonna cost a lot. The only way it will go down is if u wait and then u will be waiting even longer...

i think waiting for something better is just a stupid idea. you find yourself waiting forever. look at it this way: sure you can wait til next year for the new technology to come out with all of its bugs and glitches.......or you can goto ebay and buy a NEW mid-level computer for $400 and wait until the new technology settles in and the technology improves which will take many years.

technolgy is always changing and improving...do you want to just sit back and wait forever?

Yeah. How many years is PCI-E been put off now? I remember talking about this 2 summers ago to my brother's mom's boyfriend.

On top of that, that's my reasoning for not buying a 64 bit processor, you're just not gonna use that yet. Like someone else said - 64 bit apps coming out at the end of this year - but look at Half Life 2, how long ago was that supposed to come out? Then it got changed to this month, now it's been changed to April. You're going to be sitting around with your thumb up your butt waiting for so long if you do.

You can just pick up a refurbed compaq or something at www.microexchange.com for like...400.00 or so (like someone else said) and wait it out.

My new PC is going to be running on an Athlon XP 2800+, and I see no reason to freak out and buy a 64bit processor.

Will DDR2 be compatible with current motherboards? That's a question I do need to ask. I haven't read up much on it.

tylertherobot said:
Yeah. How many years is PCI-E been put off now? I remember talking about this 2 summers ago to my brother's mom's boyfriend.

Forgive me - I meant my brother's wife's mother. Lol.

lol. I never heard of this PCi express card. but i think its a pretty good idea. What exactly is it? does it like make it so data transfers faster? I dunno

I say buy a cheap 64 bit system, if you can find one. you always want to buy second best, cause then it has most of the glitches and bull**** worked out, and it's obviously not as expensive as the top-of-the-line stuff. I would recomend 2700 DDR cause the 3200 still has some glitches in it. AMD processors i have always believed run better than Intel. And if you're not into gaming, a 16 meg AGP will do u just fine. so for a good machine, ur talking about $800-$1000 depending on the components, and it will last u a long time.

b_young86 said:
I say buy a cheap 64 bit system, if you can find one. you always want to buy second best, cause then it has most of the glitches and bull**** worked out, and it's obviously not as expensive as the top-of-the-line stuff. I would recomend 2700 DDR cause the 3200 still has some glitches in it. AMD processors i have always believed run better than Intel. And if you're not into gaming, a 16 meg AGP will do u just fine. so for a good machine, ur talking about $800-$1000 depending on the components, and it will last u a long time.

Agree with this guy totally, you spend 1000.00 on a computer you can get some awesome stuff, here's the parts for the computer I just bought (1067.00 in parts on newegg.com)
Athlon XP 2800+
Soyo Dragon Ultra Platinum
1024MB Kingston HyperX PC2700 (DDR333)
120GB 7200 RPM 8 MB Cache
160GB 7200 RPM 2 MB Cache
16x52x32x52 DVD/CDRW Combo
Albatron (I believe) GeForce FX5500 256MB (Runs UT2K4 great from the reviews I read - and that's the only new game I really play.)
I'll link to the case later, but it's a big big solid case
I also got 2 5.25" hard drive coolers, 2 slot fans

Logitech MX Wireless Desktop
Creative Inspire 2.1 speakers

It's not complete, but for 1067.00 w/shipping that's everything but the monitor - and I have a 17" LCD coming from my Dad so I'm set for that.

You can get a lot of good stuff in computers for little money now, it's not like 15 years ago when a computer was 3000.00 to get 12mhz and 1000MB was a million years away in their minds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom