Build Log: Constructing the Ultimate Computer Desk - Page 9 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 03:06 PM   #81 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Sanding the Cabinets

Quote:
Originally Posted by patonb View Post
Dude you got a butt load of clamps....
Canadian Tire Sales over the past few years Well worth it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron69 View Post
Was thinking the same thing.
Looks good so far. Might have to make me one
...I need some more clamps first.
Hehe, well, for the right price....

With the trim all glued up and dry, and the weather nice and warm, I decided to take the cabinets outside to have the trim sanded flush. I start with 80 grit to get all the bits nice and close, and then move to 120 grit with the random orbit sander in preparation for staining.

Everything looking pretty good on the right-hand cabinet

And now for the left-hand cabinet

I'm under the impression that I mistakenly sanded this edge too much prior to installation, because I thought that I was going to have to squeeze this end into the dado cut at the back of the drawer. Woops! Hopefully that won't show up too much after staining.

And, a bit of glue squeeze-out that I missed previously is easily taken care of by the sander

I'll be staining over the weekend, so some fresh and shiny cabinets await for next weeks early update!

Have a good weekend folks!

Old 06-24-2011, 05:09 PM   #82 (permalink)

Default Re: Build Log: Constructing the Ultimate Computer Desk

Bad weekend to stain isn't it? All rain.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:22 PM   #83 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by patonb View Post
Bad weekend to stain isn't it? All rain.
Yeeaaaahhh.. Sunday was beautiful though, went up to Carmen Lake and caught some pike and did some kayaking. Good stuff.

Well, got some time to start the staining of the cabinets this weekend, and overall, everything went pretty well. Started off with a bit of detailed sanding by hand, and then a good dusting with a tack cloth / cloth with paint thinner.

And then went to work applying the stain with a clean cotton rag

They both turned out pretty well - these pictures were taken after only the first coat (A second one will go on). I find that this stain really shines once a coat of poly is put over it.

Let me tell you - getting the inside of the cabinets was quite time consuming and I really did a number on staining my arms...

Eww! It looks like a heart!

Old 06-28-2011, 12:57 PM   #84 (permalink)
Super Techie

Looks awesome man, ill say it again beautiful color
Hopefully the ottawa weather will be better over the next few days, it is suppose to rain again today so fingers crossed.
Keep it up
Old 06-30-2011, 03:23 PM   #85 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGodAL3X View Post
Looks awesome man, ill say it again beautiful color
Hopefully the ottawa weather will be better over the next few days, it is suppose to rain again today so fingers crossed.
Keep it up
Thanks, looks like it's going to be a nice one for Canada Day actually!!

I kind of forgot to take some pictures of the cabinets after I applied a pair of coats of polyurethane, but here's the status of the project so far

Both cabinets have been poly'd, and there are only 3 more pieces to stain + poly (The two caps for the end spaces on the top shelf, and the door for the right-hand cabinet). Otherwise, I am pretty much ready to assemble.

Before assembly, however, I wanted to try a technique I had been reading about - rubbing out a finish.

You start with some baby oil and a product called rottenstone (It's a very finely ground stone)

Apply some baby oil liberally (This slows down the cutting process. If you use water, it will speed up the cutting process)

Sprinkle on your rottenstone (Once again, fairly liberally. I didn't find the cutting action very aggressive at all, especially with all the baby oil)

Take a block of wood with a soft material wrapped around it, in this case, I used a piece of cut up fleece from an old blanket, but I think a felt block is the most recommended for this.

Go with the grain in long strokes, and rub the slurry into the wood. Its very fine cutting action should almost eliminate all dust marks, brush marks, and any small scratches.

This took quite a long time, and it was very, very messy. Baby oil rottenstone slurry everywhere. I then went through a ton of rags soaked in paint thinner cleaning it all off the desk surface in preparation for some good 'ol waxing.

Applied with a lint free rag, I swirled it onto the table a little bit too liberally

I then let it dry for a few moments and "attempted" to buff it all off by hand with a clean rag. Much to my dismay, after spending 10 minutes trying to buff only but a small corner, I realized that I would never get the shine I was looking for...

So I made a trip to my storage unit (My mom's garage) where I remembered I had an old electric car buffer in a bin...

Booya. It was late when I got back home, so I left it and went to sleep. Have a good weekend everyone - Canada Day tomorrow here in Canada, so I'm going to enjoy the long weekend. I'm moving this weekend too, so hopefully the desk survives the trip!!
Old 06-30-2011, 03:41 PM   #86 (permalink)
Super Techie

happy canada day to you as well my friend, keep up the good work.
And don't mess up the beautiful desk
cheers
Old 07-01-2011, 02:50 AM   #87 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

Wow, that's really looking nice! I'm about to give the table in the dining room a touch up, I'm sure I'll be referring to this thread a LOT
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 07-05-2011, 04:18 PM   #88 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Before Transportation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGodAL3X View Post
happy canada day to you as well my friend, keep up the good work.
And don't mess up the beautiful desk
cheers
Thanks! Had a good one! The desk.. survived

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ULphIRE View Post
Wow, that's really looking nice! I'm about to give the table in the dining room a touch up, I'm sure I'll be referring to this thread a LOT
Thanks! Good luck with the dining room table. My main advice for finishing or re-finishing - don't sand where you'll be staining! (ie. two separate rooms, or outdoors if available)

So, I finally moved this weekend, and I'm glad to say everything went pretty well. A few small parts of the desk got scuffed up, but nothing major. Here are some shots from just before being transported.

The car buffer partially worked. I ended up actually taking some more paint thinner and totally removing the wax. For some reason it didn't stick well - I think it's because I didn't remove the baby oil enough before adding the wax. Either way, it's shiny as glass and looks great.

Then I took some 3/4" weather stripping and put it on both cabinets to prevent the desk surface from slipping and sliding:

And, here's a sneak peak. Right before the move was pretty much the moment of triumph - assembling the 4 stained and poly'd pieces, and actually sitting at it. The monitors come in at perfect eye height, and the desk height is perfect as well, providing lots of forearm and elbow support.

Ahhhhhhhhh.... 8 months.

Now for the details

Old 07-05-2011, 04:26 PM   #89 (permalink)

wow very nice.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:35 PM   #90 (permalink)
Super Techie

Looks awesome all assembled.
If I had the money man, if I had the money

Closed Thread