Build Log: Constructing the Ultimate Computer Desk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prepping the Upper Desk

Ahh I love the color... Looking very, very nice :thumbsup:

shiiiiinnnyyyyyyyy :D me likey

That color looks awesome! keep up the detailed build, I love how in depth you get.
Hehe, thanks for all the great comments you guys - I'm glad you're all enjoying it so much. I've got to get the desk done in the next month before the move, so you can expect lots more updates!

So, with the main desk surface out of the way, it was time to start focusing on the top shelf portion, which, at this point, hadn't been sanded, cut perfectly, or assembled. Here were all the pieces required.

img5961.jpg

A quick mock up:

img5972.jpg

A few tests with the biscuit joiner to make sure I was aligned properly:

img5974j.jpg

img5978x.jpg

img5983n.jpg

I couldn't get it exactly in the center - the bottom of the joiner is a bit concave and it made lining it up a little difficult. The tool is generally used to join boards end to end, so there wasn't really any facility for on-face joining like this.

Assembly and glue up time:

img5987g.jpg

img5988.jpg

img5989b.jpg

Enjoy! You can never have too many clamps you know? I couldn't continue on doing the side pods until this stuff dried up first.

Top Shelf Assembly

more more more! Don't worry about the dark spots. Think of it as adding character lol
lol, thanks Press_Corpse, the desk will certainly have a lot of "character" even without the dark spots ;)

With the first phase of the top shelf all solid and dried, I could continue on to the two side pods. Here's the initial mockup.

img5993p.jpg

img5995tp.jpg

Notice the pencil lines for the biscuits I'll be installing.

img5996i.jpg

Those biscuits are so dark and moody... lol!

img5999dv.jpg

Aaand, some gratuitous clamping shots. Like that extra-long setup? Yeah, that worked this time, but I don't recommend it. It wasn't too stable, but there wasn't really anything else I could clamp on to for that end-pressure required.

img6002u.jpg

img6009g.jpg

img6010s.jpg

Mmmm glue.

img6013b.jpg

So that's it for this update, I know it's a pretty simple one, but hey, it's one more phase done. Just needs to have some trim stuck on and then staining!

Have a good weekend!

Man that is a darn nice computer desk you have there with a ton of man hours into it. I am going to attempt something like this someday when I get time to lay it all out. Because of my unique standing position I want to mount a monitor or 3 in a desk with some glass over it like at a hospital or similar. I just havent resea5rched it enough or have the right tools assembled yet. Keep us posted and love all the photos of the steps taken.

It wouldn't be difficult to setup a desk in which the monitors are behind a sheet of glass, just use thick high quality plexi glass, and put it in front of the monitors, make sure to keep the back open for air flow, or come up with an air flow solution, you could use one those wall mounts to secure them so they dont tip, ever, and if you know how, you can wire up a button outside the contained area that can turn the screens on, or off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom