build component advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_gris

Solid State Member
Hello everybody!

It is time for me to build a new computer.
I currently have a dell dimension L667r (aka slow computer)

and am looking to build a inexpensive machine to run apps (drafting programs like autocad and solidworks), dvd burner, some games like Metal of honor, halo, americas army exc.
for around $500-600 bones

So the questions:

what is a better bargin for my needs AMD or Intel?

A MOBO with video and audio on board or separate?

Is there a noticable difference between 400 and 800 FSB?

I was looking at some barebones systems on ebay,...which have given me ideas to start from (though I would build my one from parts on Newegg or tigerdirect)

here is what they had, what do you think ?

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz (800FSB) CPU w/ Hyper-Threading
CPU Fan: P4 Heavy Duty Cooling Fan With Heat Sink
Motherboard: ASUS P4P800D (Deluxe) 865PE 800FSB
Memory: not included (supports up to 4GB dual channel DDR400)
AGP: 8xAGP slot
IDE/SATA: Supports Two Serial ATA and four IDE ATA 133 devices
PSI: 5 PCI slots
USB: 6 USB 2.0 ports (4 on a back and 2 on a front)
Sound: AC 97 6 channel 5.1 digital sound (onboard)
Network: 10/100/1000 RJ45 network card (Ethernet, cable or DSL)
Ports: FireWire, 1 serial, 1 parallel, 1 microphone jack
Case: Black Neon Mid Tower 350w power supply (front USB)
Case Bays: 4 external 5.25", 1 external 3.5" , 6 internal 3.5" bays
Cooling Fan 80mm case fan with neon light
$ 420

and AMD
CPU
: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Retail CPU w/Fan
Motherboard : ASUS K8N nForce3 250Gb Motherboard
Memory : not included (supports up to 3GB DDR400)
AGP : 8x AGP slot
IDE : Supports 4 ATA133 and 2 Serial ATA Devices
PCI : 5 PCI slots
USB : 6 USB 2.0 ports (4 in back and 2 in front)
Network : 10/100Mbps network card (Ethernet, cable or DSL)
Sound Card : AC97 8-channel Sound Adapter
Case : RAIDMAX Gaming Case w/420 WATT Power Supply
Ports : 1 serial, 1 parallel, 1 mic
Cooling Fan : 3 80mm Side Case Fan
$ 289

and I would need new HD and memory

thanks for any advice

if you are a gamer go with the amd. i think the the asus A8N DEluxe is better, but that is just my opinion

Nah, if he's into drafting the Pentium 4 is the better way to go, but don't bother with onboard video, get a nice AGP or PCIe card, preferably a 6600GT if you have some cash, a 9600XT if you're on a budget.

Onboard sound is fine though.

G.Skill memory by Samsung is pretty sick stuff if you can afford the quantity that you need, and as far as hard drive goes, there's not much difference between them, just get a nice 7200RPM 8mb cache one from Western Digital in whatever size you need to suit your needs.

I would go SATA, but ATA is only 17mb/s slower than SATA so if you can't afford a SATA or want to save your money it's no big deal.

Finally, invest in a better power supply, don't bother with the one that comes with your case, get a true power from antec or something from thermaltake or OCZ.

wow yeah- that first one sounds like a greeat deal! that processor is a really expensive nice one, BUT- if you want to save some dough, you could stay at the 800FSB but knock the Ghz rating down some w/o noticeable difference. Lets say you chose a 2.6Ghz P4 instead- there would be no difference between that and the P4 3.0Ghz.

The PS that comes with your case will be just fine unless your planning to add a power plant via SATA cable across the street! no need to waste $80-150 on a silly lit up power supply.

Thanks for the input guys.

I am not sure how much the clock speed adds verses the other components like memory and a better video card to overall performance, so I thought I would run it buy those of you that are more knowlegable.

It is difficult for me to look at the hundreds of possible processors/Mobo combos and find the best balance of performance vs. price.

part of me is tempted to selecting one of the ebay offered barebone systems, but I really do not need the flashy case or to over buy for my needs.

I appreciate your suggestions, the last computer I built was a 200 mhz computer in '97 that cost me $1175, a deal in its day.

All the best

Erik

Ok,...so I am looking at processors...probably intel because I am not a big gamer (though I would like to do some)

how much does the variations matter in processors

i.e
a 2.4 ghz vs a 3.0 ghz

400 , 533, or 800 FSB

and 512k Vs. 1mb of cache

the price variation is about $50 between a
P4 2.4 w/ 800mhz and 512K
and a
P4 3.0 w/800 mhz and 1Mb

In the end I want to buy a system for around $500-600
minus all the peripherals I already have

any insite would be great