Broken Power Button on Case - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 11:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Broken Power Button on Case

Hey Guys. I posted this in the general computing forum and was told to try my luck here... I'm getting ready to build my first computer and found a case locally off of Craigslist a few months ago. I finally got around to checking it out and found that the 2-pin wire that connects the power button to the motherboard had been cut... I don't have a soldering iron or any real tools, but I went ahead and clipped the socket side from the HDD light and stripped it down then did the same to the power wires... If I twist the two together and secure them with electrical tape, would it be reasonable to believe that might work?

Old 01-28-2010, 12:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Broken Power Button on Case

From work experience i know there is a simple way to turn on a PSU without a case and switch, has to do with touching two wires for a second or so, but I dont know which they are since i was shown a long time ago and i would advise you to wait for someone with better knowledge of the subject.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to Burn

Touching the wires together (you actually short them, with a paper clip of something) only works if you are trying to turn the PSU on without it being connected to the motherboard (I'm pretty sure...)

@OP: You can turn on your PC with a screw driver, if you wanted to. All you have to do is find the two pins on your motherboard that correspond to Power On, and use a screw driver to bridge the two. Works like a charm

As for twisting the wires onto the pins, theoretically that would work, but good luck trying to do that... I would think that would be pretty difficult to do, because the pins are so small.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagger576 View Post
Hey Guys. I posted this in the general computing forum and was told to try my luck here... I'm getting ready to build my first computer and found a case locally off of Craigslist a few months ago. I finally got around to checking it out and found that the 2-pin wire that connects the power button to the motherboard had been cut... I don't have a soldering iron or any real tools, but I went ahead and clipped the socket side from the HDD light and stripped it down then did the same to the power wires... If I twist the two together and secure them with electrical tape, would it be reasonable to believe that might work?
No problem. Except the HDD light won't work of course

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Old 01-28-2010, 10:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to jfenwick Send a message via MSN to jfenwick

That should work, or buy another one:
2 pin Motherboard connector
Old 01-28-2010, 11:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to wafflehammer

I had an old case that had a broken power button. Me and my dad would just stick a screw driver in the hole ( removed the button..stripped wires) and move it around till both touched at the same time lol..would turn on like a charm oh course we got lazy and just pulled the wires out and touched them together to get it to power on

got kinda annoying because since we had to touch the wires it meant it had to be close..which meant if anyone accidently bumped it they would touch and cause it to shut down while in the middle of doing things lol :\

I would just go out and buy a new connector though

Core i7 920 @ 3.0Ghz
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5
6gb G.Skill 1600mhz/9-9-9-24
Corsair 750XT
EVGA GTX 260---216core
WD 640gb
14590 3dmarks @ stock
Old 01-31-2010, 01:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to jfenwick Send a message via MSN to jfenwick

Other option, check your local classifieds for people dumping old cases for free...just scavenge the power button wire off it.

Closed Thread