Brand Spankin New To Upgrading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maverick

Beta member
I am brand new to PC upgrading, and I just got a old Pavilion 6460 PC with Win98 on it. I have been really wanna upgrade it with all of this.

Pentium 4, 2.80cGHz, 800MHz Bus, Socket 478 Processor with Hyper-Threading
80GB, 7200RPM, Internal ATA133 Hard Drive
Verto GeForce 6800 GT Video Card, 8x AGP, 256MB DDR3
865PE ATX Motherboard, Socket PGA478 for Pentium 4 Processors
400-Watt ATX Power Supply

I know how to install most of that, but I have a question.

Is all of that stuff compatible with each other?

And I cannot find a tutorial on how to place a new BETTER power supply, all of them say not to put a new one with higher voltage but I need one that is better because the video card needs higher than my puny 125 voltage.

Any help would be nice.

So what are you saving from the old computer? Also, what specific motherboard are you looking at, you only mentioned the chipset.

It is not hard to replace a PSU (Power Supply Unit), everything is basically self explanatory. If your hard drive requires a 4-pin molex connector then give it one :)

As for the above hardware, it is all compatible with eachother, it would be nice to see what mainboard memory (RAM) you are going to use with the rig? DDR400 would be best suited.

yup, it all looks compatible. like kangaroo pointed out, everything nowadays fit only one way, and has its own connection. you'll be iite.

I am saving the sound card, because I normally listen to music blazing in the backround rather than the game itself.

I am looking for the best bang-for-buck RAM upgrades and memory. I have the new hard-drive, but since it is only 80 gigs, I am probally going to have a 120 gig external hard drive.

Do all comps have basically the same amount of space? My Pavilion is pretty old and small, and I wonder if everything will fit in it.

Does the motherboard really matter, because I can just change the processor.

I just wanted some verifacation with the PSU, I didn't want my screwdriver to slip and have a 125 watt surge go through my body.

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom