Brand Laptop vs. Non-Brand Laptop - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 08:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Brand Laptop vs. Non-Brand Laptop

Brand Laptop vs. Non-Brand Laptop

I am deciding to get a new or used laptop for school. It is mostly for internet, word processing, and chatting. I am willing to pay around 1000 Can for the laptop.

I am not sure if laptop with a brand name is better than a laptop with no brand name. But one thing for sure, those Dell, Compaq, IBM… are much more expansive than the ones with no brand.

Can you guys list some of the advantages and the disadvantages of both Brand and Non-Brand laptop?

I really need you guys’ help.

Thank you.

Old 12-22-2004, 08:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

K well there are a number of pro's and cons for both
NON BRAND
Pros Better parts for less money, A lot of the places will give you personal service, some will want to prove themselves and as such will give above average deals and customer service
Cons might have a crappy warrenty, even if it does have a good warrenty the company might go brock and then they don't have to uphold the warrenty, somtimes dubious quolity controll

Brand
Pros U know who you are getting it from so you know the quolity, Get a cool logo on the back , get a warrenty that you know will be upheld

Cons Crap value most of the time, bad customer service a lot of the time cos u don't mean squot as a customer to them, a lot of the big companies charge 300-500 dollers Australian for a 3 year warrenty on a laptop

1gig PC3200 Geil Value Ram Duel Channel@ddr480 3-3-3-8
Gigabyte 6600GT-PCI-E@580/1.3
Old 12-22-2004, 08:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Really i think that it all comes down to how much you know about computers and how much of a risk you can offord. if you know the brand of all the parts in that laptop are awsom then who put it together probebly matter. but the fact remains that you are still risking losing your warrenty if they go broke or if they close shop (happened to a friend)
1gig PC3200 Geil Value Ram Duel Channel@ddr480 3-3-3-8
Gigabyte 6600GT-PCI-E@580/1.3
Old 12-22-2004, 08:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to Roshi229 Send a message via Yahoo to Roshi229

my 2 cents worth here...
they might cost a little more, but i'm VERY pleased with my Sony Vaio laptop... would recomend! but it might be a bit over budget.

<form action=\"http://www.srsyo.org/tfsearch.php\" method=\"get\">
<input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"> <input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value=\"Search first, ask later!\"></form>