Brainstorming on next extreme case mod. Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bschott

Beta member
Hey,

I just want to say that I am not really new to the modding scene as I have a few builds (Big Blue, Christine, Ultimedia, and Tanya) under my belt, however I am about to begin a new mod and I would like some input from other modders, if you would be so kind.

A little background first: I am working for a company that sells, leases, and repairs copiers and office printers. Occasionally, they toss out copiers that reach the end of their life cycle or become too expensive to continue repairing.

In any case, I have an opprotunity to take home (for free) two Canon ImageRunner 400s copiers with the DADF-A1 (Document Feeder) and Cabinet on both machines. (Link to see what copier looks like that I am talking about).

Now, my thought is gutting the copiers' internals completely, leaving just the outer shell. I was thinking of leaving the document feeder on, but gutting and modding it (possibley into just a cover, or maybe I could mount an LCD monitor inside?). I was also thinking of leaving the glass intact...letting it act as a window instead of having to mod out the side of the case.

Another thought was having 2-3 motherboards either arranged in a vertical, 'sliced bread', arrangement, or having two motherboards mounted on two mirrors or reflective acrylic and set in a "V" like formation inside the case. Standard cathodes or LED strips will light the internals. (If I go multi-motherboards I may want to do a linux-based cluster..)

What I am really looking for is some advice on the exterior. I definately will be doing an automotive paint on this if I do any painting at all. Mainly what I need is help on a theme...

First I was looking at doing a retro-60 to 80's main frame theme. Make it look like big beefy machine right out of an ancient server room.

I was also thinking of doing a futuristic case...like something that could be cast as a Star Trek TNG or Voyager prop. Very smooth lines and hidden accent lighting.

A HAL themed case perks my interest as well but I'm not sure how to go about making that.

Another idea was doing a Military theme PC....something that looks like it could be a forward fire-base computer main-frame. I'm not really crazy about that idea though....

A friend suggested that I do a Juke Box mod, and while I like the idea, I'm not sure how to go about it either (software? touch screen? speaker placement?)

Now I have two of these copiers so I could do more than one theme. Anyway, thoughts?

With a case that big you do the curved mirror effect to create the illusion of a hologram with the motherboard seemingly floating.

I have always wanted to make a mod where the walls are made from lcds that are connected to cameras on the opposite sides making it appear like an empty frame.

Another idea with a case that size is to go for the green thing which is ofcourse popular atm and create a case that has internally mounted electricity generator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom