Boot Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshyouah

Baseband Member
I have an abit kv7 with amd barton 3000+, kingston 512mb ddr400 ram. recently it had been doing some weird things and finally came up after ide detection, "processor unworkable". this was when i had an amd 2800+. i now have the new processor in there and when i boot up, it takes about 1-2 minutes to detect ide drives. once it gets them it says that they are "unmountable volumes". i thought maybe there was a problem with the ide port on the motherboard, but when i put it on port 2, it boots fast, (2-3 seconds) but still stops right before windows should load and says unmountable volume. is it just my hard drive is dead too? how could this happen when it did nothing but sit there while i replaced cpu/power supply?

It could be your cables. Try a different cable and make sure the drives are jumpered correctly. Make sure you are using 80conductor cables.

there is only one hard drive that i was connecting. i have one hard drive and 2 dvd drives. when i used only one cable on the hard drive and a dvd drive, it boots up quick as long as i have them in the ide 2 slot on the MB. when their on the ide 1 slot, it goes realllllllllly slow. would the 80 conductor cables help this? ive had problems with the bios on this before, when i flashed the bios it worked, i may just try that. its really when i have anything plugged into ide 1 it goes slow. i tried to ghost the drive while both the HDD and dvd drives were on ide 2, but ghost froze about 8% through restoring the image. should i flash the bios? get the 80 conductor cables? get a new MB?

80 or 40 cable:
z_000524wires4080.jpg

Did you try different cables for IDE1?

I dunno if a flash could help, you can try it.

Strapping from boot rom?

ok, i found the problem... there is a jumper on board to swith between either "strapping from boot rom" or "strapping from hardware". when my computer was down i switched from hardware, where i had it before, to boot rom. this is what made it slow, once i switched the jumper back to hardware, it is extremely fast again. my question though, what does this do? i have never heard of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom