Boot Disk Failure: Insert System Disc and Press Enter

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazer_viking

In Runtime
I get this screen every time I boot up my computer without the Vista operating system disc in the drive. The system will boot up fine with the disc in the drive but it gets really annoying to have to keep this disc around, especially since I like to protect the disc as best I can. It's hard to keep scratches off of it when it has to be within arms reach all the time.
It started after I did a clean install, almost as if it's a security measure put in place by Microsoft to stop pirating of the OS by forcing you to keep the physical disc around. How do I either fix the problem if it's not by design, or circumvent the measure since it's wrong?

Have you checked your BIOS settings to see whether it's trying to boot from the disc? If so try changing the boot sequence to the hard drive first.

The DVD drive was first priority, so I changed it to hard disk as first priority, but it didn't change anything. I still got the boot disk failure warning with the Vista disc out.

Hmm I thought that might happen. One other thing I can suggest is either do a system repair or do yet another clean install and see if you still have the problem.

probably the boot thing is gone or somehow but are you sure that the DVD is required to boot up vista? Normally there should be something like boot.ini or something similar (not sure in vista) and that tells where the location of your windows folder is in.

I don't understand what you mean by am I sure the disc is required... I know that right now the disc is required to boot up Vista in my computer's current state. I know that normally it isn't required.

Vista does not use boot.ini. The effect is achieved by using the boot tab in msconfig. The location of my Windows folder is correct...

I wish it would give me more detailed error messages rather than just DISK BOOT FAILURE.

I have the same exact problem. I can't boot w/ out the disk either no matter what I tried. I'm doing a clean install so hopefully this won't happen again

@thirdshiftdj: Not really into a clean install. I have 200 GB worth of games installed and not really looking forward to installing them all again. It would literally take all day.

@Tkey: I'll give it a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom