blown psu

Status
Not open for further replies.

jseber1982

Enterprise SCCM\SCOM
I had a silverstone 650watt psu, i decided to turn the fan down to half speed. games got a bit jumpy, then all of a sudden my pc turned off and i smelt some ozone lol. I think the pu overheated, does it sound like it to you?

thanks

i went ahead and tried firing it up again just to make sure that it just wasnt overheating. Within 15 secs, smoke came out of my scsi card right next to the pci bus. I guess its normal for a bad psu to overvolt things and fry stuff?

im almost afraid to even get another psu and try it, dont wanna fry anything else

yea it sounds like its blown. I really dont understand the use for those little fan controller knobs. all i know is that im never using it!

so do you think that the system will be fine once it is replaced?there is a black mar on the pci bus from where my scsi card blew. i can do without that, just hope it didnt fry one of my gfx cards. I htought that maybe my gfx card also could have caused the psu to go. The temp reading on the gfx card is screwed up and reading like 5*c. So maybe something on there is messed up. Damnit im so mad bahh. dont wanna buy a new psu, fire it up and find that something else is wrong, and fry the new psu. heck my mobo could be dead now lol

so glad i have a backup gaming laptop, a sager 9890

****, just got the water coolin setup in there too. cpu, chipset, both gfx cards. **** what a pain to remove the mobo.

i guess i will get a new psu and try it, if it dont work, then hmm yea i guess the mobo will be next

man, cant believe i didnt see it. in 3dmark05 i was getting 20fps.. i couldnt figure out why. duh, psu overheating lol, how stupid. least thats all i can think of that would make the performance that crappy

20fps sounds about right for 3dmark. You said the smoke came from the SCSI card, how do you know it wasn't the scsi card that caused the problem? but ya never mess with fans on the PSU

usually i get 90fps in 3dmark05 with default settings. with 2 6800 ultras, lol 20fps is horrid. All i can think of is that it was underpowered due to overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom