Blow Hole Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry about the sigtesting, had to make it small so it didnt get removed.. ANYWAY

THANKS FOR THE tip.. i will check on homedepot.. ebay had some but from hongkong so illjust stay local.. I will definetly use the masking tape because even if it doesnt stop it from tearing which it shouldnt because it cant counter act the force of the drill it will atleast stop scratches from flying metal.. user error.. small slips etc.. some people say use duct tape under the masking tape so you can write on the masking tape for the hole.. also it is much thicker to prevent slips.

thanks for the help.. I will be researching finding the right tool for it.. I want the hole saw, seems easiest.

Im trying to finda good fan for a blowhole.. do you think even naturally because heat rises that the hole itself will vent some heat and any cfm fan should cerfice?

thanks

BTW RK!!! what do u have your 3200 clocked @????

crossphyr said:
sorry about the sigtesting, had to make it small so it didnt get removed.. ANYWAY

THANKS FOR THE tip.. i will check on homedepot.. ebay had some but from hongkong so illjust stay local.. I will definetly use the masking tape because even if it doesnt stop it from tearing which it shouldnt because it cant counter act the force of the drill it will atleast stop scratches from flying metal.. user error.. small slips etc.. some people say use duct tape under the masking tape so you can write on the masking tape for the hole.. also it is much thicker to prevent slips.

thanks for the help.. I will be researching finding the right tool for it.. I want the hole saw, seems easiest.

Im trying to finda good fan for a blowhole.. do you think even naturally because heat rises that the hole itself will vent some heat and any cfm fan should cerfice?

thanks

BTW RK!!! what do u have your 3200 clocked @????
No problem. I got my holesaw from Home Depot for like $6, but IIRC, they only had standard sizes, no metric. You might be better off going to like Ace Hardware or your local mom and pop hardware store to find the metric one. I think duct tape under the masking tape would only make things more difficult, I got by the motto K.I.S.S., im sure you can figure out what that means;) You can write on the masking tape just fine w/o the layer of duct tape and not risk any damage or defects to your item. All you need to do is mark a dot for the center of the hole for the fan, and four dots for the screw holes, I use a sharpie for the center hole and a ball point pen(just the refill) as it's long and skinny and fits through the holes in the fan no problem. Again, just dots is all you need.

As far as the fan cfm, I'd agree w/your assessment, I can't imagine a 35 cfm fan being noticeably more effective in lowering case temps in that setup than a 25 cfm fan. I'd focus more on the type of bearing the fan has and the db of the fan than the cfm.

I don't have the system in my sig yet, I just bought the video card and case a couple weeks ago, gonna buy the PSU and DVD burner here shortly. I'm just piecing it together slowly but surely, not in any rush as I've got a working system that gets me by. I'm gonna buy the mobo/cpu combo last so as soon as I get it I can put that badboy together, it's gonna be run at stock speeds though.

rkf76 said:
No problem. I got my holesaw from Home Depot for like $6, but IIRC, they only had standard sizes, no metric. You might be better off going to like Ace Hardware or your local mom and pop hardware store to find the metric one.
76mm converts to 2.992126in.
so basically just get a 3inch hole saw.

the sheet metal on the case would be no more than 1-2mm thick.
use an electric drill, and spin it fast! but dont use to much pressure.

dont forget to measure the width of the case, and mark the centre.

rkf76 said:
Well, I was a car audio installer for 9 years, and in my current job I assemble/modify/setup and deliver power wheelchairs and scooters, both jobs call on the use of a hole saw regularly for various reasons. Applying pressure when using a hole saw won't do anything but make it cut through the material faster, and cutting through sheet metal w/a hole saw tilted at an angle isn't recommended for a few reasons. Main one being that there is normally a drill bit at the center of the holesaw so if you get the bit throught the metal and then tilt the drill, you risk bending/tweaking the sheet metal. Also, once you get about halfway though it, you're gonna have one side pushing down on the metal while the other side is pulling it up, again, risking bending/tweaking the thin metal.

Using masking tape will absolutely help protect the immediate area from getting scratched or marred due to the metal shavings and adds a layer of protection against light impacts from screws, bits, etc, this is especially important if you have a case with a glossy finish. Not only does it only take seconds to apply/remove, but if it can help protect your item, why not do it?

Also, if you had cut the correct shape/size hole for your fans, you wouldn't have needed to add any washers like you did.

OOHHHH i thought you were first reffering to the dremel bits
my bad man, thats why i said hold it at an angle instead on its flat side your supposed to, i foudn that it didnt ride on you. and the washers are for more clearance, my friends always come over and put their fingers in it lol like its so tempting idk whats so cool about it, i guess because most of them are stupid stoners.

well I want to go the 92mm route and I found thats 3.54 rounded close to 3.55 inches.. which ends up being safe to get a 90mm or 3 1/2 inch hole saw. Ill have some time later today to give some pics of my case itself..

I will definetly get a low db fan because I wanted to upgrade my heatsink fan.. even though the panflo's own i dont think its enough cfm.. i have my temps in sig but still.. I want to try to keep it under 50.

anyway ill try to look into like chasepitkin(local store going out of business here) and we have lowes, home depot, ace hardware I dont know of many mom and pop stores around here but ill look

My dad may have one.. but 3 1/2 is quite alarge hole saw lol...

anyway ill keep you guys updated on the process

my question is what should I use to file the edges/ sand them down? I have limited bits for the dremel.. a few stone type sanding bits but im also going to be having a fan grill over it so im not tooooooo concerned.

BTW some people are telling me to not bother taking out the rivets just remove everything from my case.. even though I don't want to do this I think it would be stupid to leave my motherboard in the case (I realllllllllllllly wish my top just screwed on not rivets)

1 good thing is I can completely tidy up my wires and try to hide stuff best I can. Oh how I wish I had a removable motherboard tray.. oh well I like the case all that counts

�ArchOAngel� said:
OOHHHH i thought you were first reffering to the dremel bits
my bad man, thats why i said hold it at an angle instead on its flat side your supposed to, i foudn that it didnt ride on you. and the washers are for more clearance, my friends always come over and put their fingers in it lol like its so tempting idk whats so cool about it, i guess because most of them are stupid stoners.
Ah, I see. What cut off wheels do you use? I always use the reinforced one's, walking hasn't been an issue for me. I understood what the washers were for, the point I was making was that if the hole size/shape was correct, you wouldn't need any extra clearance.

crossphyr said:
My dad may have one.. but 3 1/2 is quite alarge hole saw lol...

my question is what should I use to file the edges/ sand them down? I have limited bits for the dremel..

BTW some people are telling me to not bother taking out the rivets just remove everything from my case.. even though I don't want to do this I think it would be stupid to leave my motherboard in the case

1 good thing is I can completely tidy up my wires and try to hide stuff best I can. Oh how I wish I had a removable motherboard tray.. oh well I like the case all that counts
ahaha, yeah, 3 1/2 does look kinda large huh? If I were you I'd wait to do any drilling until you have the fan in your hand, just to make sure you're getting the right size hole drilled.

To smooth the edges you can use a few things, the fastest, easiest way is gonna be to use this dremel bit:
932.jpg

It's an oxide grinding stone #932, it'll take the rough edges off for you easily.

If you have skills/rivet gun and rivets, you won't have any problems. However, I think it's overkill considering you can simply remove EVERYTHING from your case instead. Both are going to be time consuming, but with removing the rivets you run the risk of boring out the holes/not being able to remove a rivet or two, etc. I've had times when I attempted to drill out a rivet only for it to start spinning on me, and considering you have little room for mistake being that you're working at the edges of your case, that's not something you want to have happen. So remove the contents of your case(including the motherboard) and drill the hole from the inside.

well my only concern is picking the right fan. I was going to get tthis one that is 119cfm ROFL everyone on newegg says it sounds like a vacuum cleaner.. anyway Ill try to find a decent cheap one with good cfm.. I only want about 40cfm that should suffice since having the hole there will vent it anyway

The problem is that I went to chase pitkin and home depot.. chasepitkin had a lenox one I believe for 15 dollars.. home depot was 17.. a bit much for one project so im trying to look online. I relaly dont want to spend 30 bucks making a blow hole.. so im trying to find someone locally that I can borrow theirs..

anyway I will give you guys some pics of my cpu when I get home, currently at gf's but I believe I have that sand off bit for my dremel.. so that should be np now just finding a hole saw for less than an arm and a leg :/

most of these come w/o the arbor which is even worse.. I am gonna make my dad search buit 3 1/2 is an odd/large size for anyone besides like a plummer to have

ttyl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom