Blow Hole Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

crossphyr

In Runtime
Okay I want to do a blowhole mod in the top of my case here are my questions and concerns

What size drill/type/bit should I use,its not aluminum but very thing none the less..

How many degrees should I expect to drop after installing it with a average type 80mm fan?

It has rivets how do i take them out/reinstall the rivets?

If anyone has done it themselves please post some pics and tell me how you did it?

also my cpu runs normally @ idle around 36c and loads around 50
I have an xp-90 and my cpu is below with that overclock.. I have 2 exhaust fans.. one front instake a side fan 2 psu fans and the heatsink fan..

thankyou.

You should use a dremel with a cut off wheel to cut the hole. Make the hole the same size as the fan, 80mm, try to find a cup about the same size and trace around it for a cut line.

You have to drill the rivets out with a drill-bit, Then you will need a rivet-gun and new rivets to put it back together.

I was going to put a blowhole fan in my PC but there's not enough room to have it inside my case because my PSU and DVD drives are to close to each other. I have an idea of using a pci slot fan as blowhole fan http://www.xoxide.com/slotcooler1.html So if you find out you don't have enough room, consider a slot fan. Also I think it will be much easier to install.

I recommend taking everything out of your case before you use power tools on it ;)

It will nock a few degrees off load.

Don't take out the rivets, but take everything out of your case. If the case is steel use a jigsaw.

Also, I would make the san hole a polygon and not a circle - hexagon would probally be the best - leaving enough room to drill the holes for the fan screws. Also rember to put a fan cover over it.

I would refrain from jigsaws! Go to a hardware store and buy a 78mm hole saw for a drill. You'll have a nice clean circle. You can use sandpaper or a dremel to clean off the edges if you need to.

Ryan

If you use a jigsaw make sure you get a metal cutting blade (the one with small teeth) The thinner or smaller the blade is, the more it will let you cut smaller circles or curves.

If you use a hole saw make sure you get the one with a regular drill bit in the center to keep it from walking all over the place while drilling.
When you use a hole saw on thin metal it can tear and bend the metal if the teeth catch when the saw is half way though. If you find the teeth are catching while drilling, just run the drill backwards at high speeds and push.

The reason I recommend the dremal is because I think it will give someone that is not used to using power tools to cut and drill metal the best results;)

I've drilled allot of stuff:rolleyes:

Seriously use a hole saw

and no it isnt a 78mm its a 76mm

the 76mm saws are the perfect fit and you dont have to look hard to fid them. I cut 11 holes in my steel full tower case and they all came out looking perfect! :D

Cut the hole then sand or file the edges

Make sure you get a corded drill, 76mm bi-metal hole saw, sand paper, and a file.

Google a how to guide and follow it lol

FghtinIrshNvrDi said:
Go to a hardware store and buy a 78mm hole saw for a drill. You'll have a nice clean circle. You can use sandpaper or a dremel to clean off the edges if you need to.

Ryan
Best advice in this thread!!

DBD said:
The reason I recommend the dremal is because I think it will give someone that is not used to using power tools to cut and drill metal the best results;)
Keeping things as simple as possible, using a drill w/hole saw is the easiest possible way to do it. It can be done w/a dremel and cut off wheel, but it would take far more skill and time to make it look nice.

I say listen to the aspire dude...after all...i have an aspire case! :)

I might have a 76mm hole saw in my garage you could use.

as do i my friend as do i

:D

here, ill show you what i accomplished with a hole saw

both the cases are mine
the one with all the fans has a total of 13 case fans. Not including psu, gfx card, or cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom