BIOS vs CPU-Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGlazer

In Runtime
Hi, I've joined these forums for about 2 months now, and I finally decided to overclock my system after reading a fair amount on it.

E6400
P5B Deluxe
Crucial Ballistix 800

There's something I'm not getting or reading right. In my BIOS, I set my DDR2 to 600mhz, as my FSB is set to 300. When I open up CPU-Z, it says my Frequency is 300mhz. Shouldn't it read 600? Since that's what I set it to in the BIOS............ or does the CPU-Z automically divide w/e you set in the BIOS by 2? Ex. 800mhz in BIOS = 400mhz in CPU-Z??

Oh yea, one more thing; what temperatures are considered good for Idle and Load after overclocking?

Thanx for your help and time.

Yeah you pretty much answered your first question. "DDR" means Double Data Rate, so it runs double of what it actually says. Like in your case since you set it to 600mhz, the cpu-z will display 300mhz but when you double it you get 600mhz and that's your actual speed of your ram. Also, for idle depending on how high you OC it, anything under 30*C is good. Under 40*C is a little too high. As for load, Try not to get it over 50*C. Maybe 55*C MAX though.

I guess CPU-Z accounts for the dual channel and the bandwidth. It shows the bandwidth of the memory and you multiply by two to get dual channel.

For temperatures, under 60 on load is good, under 50 on idle is good.

ddr2 stands for double-data-rate-2
so it doubles the actual speed of ddr2 800 of 400mhz to the effective speed of 800mhz.
cant help you with the temps, i have an idea, but one of the intel owners can give you exact numbers.
EDIT: man im a slow typist.
big also note in your example that 600mhz is the effective speed. 300mhz is the actual.

Oh shoot I just noticed your signature. I'm a huge 2Pac fan too man. That line is from, "Life Goes On". That's my favorite 2Pac song, but my favorite 2Pac quote is the lien that comes right after that one:

"Until I get free, I live my life in the fast lane, got police chasin' me."

Wow, you actually know where I got my quote from, haha, nice. Yea, I'm a big 2Pac Fan.

Thx a lot for the replies. Pretty much answered my question.

My idle temp is currently 28-29C and my Load is about 42-43C so far.

It's my first time Overclocking, and I gotta say, it's really exciting, haha

I am just wondering
when ya'll are talking about idle/load temps
is it CPU temp we are talking about?
or is it the CORE temps?

Fat.Clown, when I say Idle/Load temps, I'm referring to my core temps.

I've managed to lower my Idle temps to 23-25C, haha. I can't wait til I get my tuniq 120 and Antec900 case, should be arriving soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom