Bios Updates after clearing Cmos - trouble?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max2559

Baseband Member
I had my e6600 on a gigabyte DS4.

During my overclocking stages i had to clear the CMOS once as it just wouldnt post with the new FSB settings i had imposed.

(Previous to this i had upgraded main Bios to F6.)

So... then it booted as expected in F2... and as im running RAID I had to reinstal XP and reset all the Bios settings.

I didnt have afloppy handy so i updated the Bios as soon as windows was loaded using the @Bios utility.

It worked.

Then... on restart i went into Bios to set up my last known stable overclock settings... 8x400 (3.2Ghz) and pressed save and exit.

Power on - And then it turned off... and then back on... and so on.

Clear CMOS again....

Restart...

Power on - scanning Bios image to hard drive - then it restarts again and again.

Board is now back in a box and i have another DS4 in right now.

I was wandering if anyone could shed light on whats gone wrong.

I presume:
1) that changing the multiplier down to 8 it did not like.
2) there must have only been one good bios on the board at this time... and as it couldnt load the settings... and there wasnt another bios ... its dead.

Has anyone else had the backup bios boot in when changing the multiplier? - If so why does this happen?

Im scared to overclock now... as im not sure i will get RMA on the dead board and i cant fork out another £120!

If i update BOTH bios to F6 using a floppy... would that be a good idea before overclocking? Or should i just have a copy of the F6 main and leave the F2 as back up. I've already reset CMoS on the new board once... as i tried to change the multiplier straigh away to 8 (in F2). But i have checked in Bios and it seems there are still two copies of F2 on the board.

Sorry this is so long... just i cant deal with pressing "save and restart" and then hear it switching itself on and off over and over. . .

Cheers for any advice,

lower ur fsb and keep the multi at 9 for starters when OCing. in almost all cases, the newer the BIOS the better off ur whole comp is. of course there is always room for error. so update both to F6 and see what happens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom