Bios...dvd???

Status
Not open for further replies.

BennyV04988

Fully Optimized
Hey,

I just found out that the new BIOS for my board takes the limit off the FSB so I can OC finally. Problem is, I dont have a floppy drive...all I've got is DVDs lol. Am I screwed? :p I also don't know anything about bios utilities or anything. :/

Your MoBo may support Flashing the BIOS from a thumb-drive. Check it out. It will save you having to install a floppy.

Also Asus has several BIOS upgrade utilities sych as, AFUDOS. There is another that can be done via the internet.

Check this link: http://usa.asus.com/search.aspx?searchitem=1&searchkey=m2n-sli

I generally use a floppy (old dog, new trick - can't/won't learn, blah, blah).

If you use the thumb-drive, let us know how it goes. Maybe I'll get the nads to try it myself.

P.S. The guides and FAQ's for OC'ing are ubiquitous - You can find some in this forum, or you can Google. Do some thorough reading before OC'ing. Know your specs and thresholds for temps and voltages so that you do not damage your components.

Good luck!

For Pete's sake, I'm editing my edit: I would recommend using the BIOS instead of OC'ing utilities.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/ASUS-Update-Utility.shtml

I'm trying this thing. I'm fairly educated on OC'n. I know all about my temps and ram timings and multis and fsb, etc etc. I couldn't OC my system over 2.2GHz though because of the BIOS. Apparantly the new one fixed that issue. It was quite established that the system wouldn't boot over 220 fsb with the orig bios. Ive got a copper hsf, as5, pci exhaust fan, 2nd gig of ram, all at home. If I get this to work, I'll go home tonight and pick them up. OC as high as i can but keeping my temps under 55 load. (dual prime95 that is) I'd like to hit 2.6GHz.

*Conroe hurts my feelings...* lol.

I'm also gonna tackle the 7900GT volt mod soon. :)

I used a flash program to update the bios on my ABit board.

I trust a flash program more than my coding. :)

I still get errors when trying to reboot, but you just blow past them and it boots fine. I don't boot very often. Avid stand by user so it won't bother me much at all.

It...sort of worked though. I'm up and running at 2.4GHz.

40C idle
48C BF2
55C Prime95 (Dual Torture)

BF2 already seems a LOT less jittery when playing with bots. Once I throw on my new hsf and as5 i'll see what she's really made of. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom