BFG 6800GT Overclocked (out-of-box)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thresh

Desktop Engineer
They have it oc'd to 370mhz (350mhz orginially). Question is, how easy is it to oc past 400 (past Ultra speeds) considering it has a much better cooling system than the originial GT?

ive heard its very easy for an eVGA 6800GT to be overclocked past ultra speeds. i dont know about the BFG.

I don't know, I'd have to look at their cooling because if it's like eVGA and they simply put on a heatsink that's made for the Ultra then technically BFG did nothing special and they are charging for a WEAK overclock really. Every card and system and hell even the room in your house is different for everyone.

But assuming its got a heatsink meant for the Ultra stuck on the GT just like eVGA then you should be able to hit Ultra speeds no problem. I wouldn't be surprised if you could just take it from 370-400 and it would take it no problem. HOWEVER, I'm in no way instructing you to do that. I might just cause I'm crazy like that :p But for you since I don't want you to think I ruined your card if something were too happen then take it up at 3-5MHz increments

so the only difference between all the GT's is cooling? So if i got the cheapest GT, took off its cooling, and added one of them arctic VGA coolers it would be better than the rest?

I would say not to much of a problem if you have an liquid cooling system. I wouldent jerk around with OC, runing stock hardware.

so the only difference between all the GT's is cooling? So if i got the cheapest GT, took off its cooling, and added one of them arctic VGA coolers it would be better than the rest?

No not necessarily. You are also paying for quality of the architecture of the board. Certain manufacturers like eVGA will offer far superior quality construction compared to someone like LeadTek or other lesser known brands. Plus some companies like eVGA focus mainly on graphics cards. These companies usually produce higher quality cards because they spend more money and time designing the best architecture, whereas companies like MSI who produce motherboards and graphics cards, although a really good company IMO I would say they are mid range quality. They are really stable boards but generally don't offer much past 'average' as far as options go. I figure it's because they focus on two major industries. Motherboards and graphics cards.

This isn't to say you couldn't OC a no name brand very good because you could just get lucky and happen to get the pick of the litter ya never know. But with a good name brand you're paying for quality too.

EDIT: Oh yeah ak_, also most other smaller companies will put on a smaller heatsink, so in the case between eVGA's 6800GT and most others, then yeah you would definitely have to put on some aftermarket cooling and then you might be able to hit Ultra speeds given you got a good card with decent OC tolerance. Buying the eVGA 6800GT is like getting a free aftermarket heatsink. It's one of those things like a 35w 2400+ XP-M...if you know about it and know how to use it you basically got better than a 3200+ XP same applies with the eVGA 6800GT...some people just assume the Ultra is better and don't read about tweaking the cards out and/or OC'ing ;)

I consiter BFG a very good company, they, like eVGA only make Graphics cards as far as I know, and they design very good cooling units from what I've heard. If you want to overclock it more, just do like Numbius said and increase the speed in small increments. But I would imagine that you should have no problems.

BFG and eVGA make the best 6800GTs. The eVGA is the best though because it can ALWAYS be overclocked past ultra speeds. Stay away from XFX and PNY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom