BFG 6800GT OC'd gets hung up sometimes but isn't overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thresh

Desktop Engineer
Every time I run 3DMark03 and 05 I get hung up for a few seconds, I get a error from 3dMark, or I get blue screen of death. I don't understand, if the card isn't overheating (60-80c) then what is causing this problem? It can't be the hardware obviously because its not hot. Then it has to be the software... It's just not making sense. Can anyone clarify this?

I forgot to mention, it runs fine stock OC'd to 370mhz, but when i take it further say passed 380 thats when I start to see problems.

Another thing, I use to have this thing clocked at 420mhz (in sig) for a few weeks and I started having problems so I gradualy went down until I could barely overclock it without these problems. I do remember experimenting a bit in BIOS, checking the voltage etc... maybe I changed something in there I wasn't suppose to?

Have you altered your RAM timings and/or frequency? Run a memory diagnostic to check for errors.

Maybe Dmged your GPU? At least thats what it sounds like if it OC"d before now it wont might have messed it up

Or you can check ur PSU might not be giving off enough power i doubt its ur PSU though

Yeah I have messed with my RAM timings a bit. I'll default them back to normal and try it again and see what that gets me. I don't know if it's possible that I damaged my GPU because Nvidia has a core slowdown threshold for cards that get too hot. Unless Nvidia are a bunch of dopes, and 120c is already way too freaking hot, which I think it is, then it's possible. I've been trying to figure out how to change that anyway, I don't want my card running at 120c before it wanrs me its hot.

Is it Under waranty still or try callin tech support and tell them it wont even run at stock speeds see of they can replace it

I put everything back to defaults except the card and it still has hiccups or errors out of some games and 3dmark. I don't understand, what could it be? You would think the card would just overheat from the excessive speeds being forced through it but it doesnt, it just freaks out and gets errors.

BFG= crap maybe? I thought they were a pretty good company. I use to be extremely familiar with video cards, but since forgot. But there's one company that I know is able to overclock as a 6800gt to ultra speeds all the time, with every card no problem.

What is your AGP volts set at?
If its stock try upping it a little, stock should be 1.5V try 1.6V. That mobo supports AGP voltage increase, according to ASUS's website. I don't think you damaged anything cause if you did it wouldn't work period. Also your first try at OCing your card was it straight out of the box or did you have it for a while then OC it. Everything always OCs better out of the box but then drops a little afterwards.

VERY nice man. You were right, I don't know why I didn't think of that. I guess I thought it was going to automatically configure the voltage for me. It was at 1.5 then I did 1.6. I still got a couple hiccups on 3Dmark03 but thats alot better than it crashing or hanging up all the time. I got my RAM timings back to being oc'd and my cpu to 5% OC'd. With 10% I get alot of errors in games. Guess im going to need better cooling. But with the 6800gt oc'd at 400mhz 1.10 and a couple hiccups I still get 11468 3Dmarks. Add like 1000ish and thats what I probably would've gotten. Maybe I should try 1.7, that may cure the hiccups once and for all? I'm running it at 420mhz 1.10 now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom