Which is better? 2 120mm fans or 4 80mm fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
So hypothetically, 2 80mm that put out more CFM total than 1 120mm would be better. Noise level would need to be under acceptable levels, which to me is not that important.

yes. that is correct. they will be louder, but so what? unless of course you are a noise freak (or noiseless freak), or sleep with your computer right next to your head.
i have a 120 intake, 120 exhaust, 80mm intake, psu exhaust, and a zalman 9500.
plus the 2 fans from my 7900gs'.
plus the fan from my mobo's chipset.
plus my (kinda) quiet wd 160
plus my (not quiet at all) POS dell 36gb backup.
i like noise. if i want quiet, i'll go scuba diving or something. go to the country. lock myself in a freezer, w/e.

****, you should mod it to fit 4 120mm fans, it shouldn't be too hard, and you'd move a heck of a lot more air. And i love noise, it helps me sleep, at least the noise of fans. I have two 240mm on my windtunnel, and a 120 exhaust, and and 80 or something on my zaleman cpu cooler. Then just for the noise and it keeps my room cooler, a 2ft. industrial box fan.

newegg has the zalman 120mm and 92mm green fans that i want. are those the ones you use?
i had a devil of a time finding a 92mm green fan. newegg is out of stock till later this month.
I use Cooler Master's.

Cooler Master fans are usually 22dBA, but some of them are 19dBA, which I had a bit of trouble finding.

All eight of the fans were originally blue LED fans. I soldered green LED's in place of them in four of the fans.

What??? Mines has a twin turbo intake and an aftercharger.
I assume he meant that it would be water cooled.

So hypothetically, 2 80mm that put out more CFM total than 1 120mm would be better. Noise level would need to be under acceptable levels, which to me is not that important.

er....no. Again it depends hugely upon the fans that you pick, but remember that sound isn't an additive thing, so if you have 1 80mm fan and 5 120mm fans, its likely to be the 80mm fan you hear. with its annoying high pitched wail. I personally would always go with 120mm fans- dont forget that area is proportional to diameter^2, so 40mm extra diameter = Muuchh more area. The c/s area of a 120mm fan is more than twice that of an 80mm fan. So to obtain the same massflow through an 80mm fan, you need to spin it much faster, hence its much louder (and higher pitched in noise) and much shorter lifespan. urgh, this is getting longwinded, just go with 120mm fans ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom