Best for overclocking - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Closed Thread
Old 10-17-2004, 11:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via AIM to Joeisalsocool
Question Best for overclocking

Im stuck in a rut.
I desparatley need to upgrade my CPU. In my price range Im torn between the Pentium 4 2.4/512/533 and 2.6/512/533.

I would like to overclock once I get one, Im just wondering which one would be a better bang for the buck.
I've heard that 2.4's are easier to overclock becuase they were at the end of the northwood era. On the other hand a 2.6 althought a little more expensive, would give me more stock speeds. Can I have your opinions?

Old 10-17-2004, 06:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

I know nothings of Intels, but I can tell you I've got this 35w 2400+ XP-M chip from 1.8ghz to 2.5GHz stable. I've got valueram though, so possibly with better RAM and a little luck you can get it higher. I hit 2.8GHz once but then the system didn't want to boot back up under that. I hit 2.7GHz on it, but it would freeze randomly. So now just for stability reasons I put it down at like 2.525GHz I think is what I'm running now. 42C Full load but I have a lot of cooling in my case. Sorry if this is all useless garbage to you, but I honestly know nothing of Intel and I was just suggesting a possible alternative unless AMD is out of the question for you.

On another thread I posted my benches and when I had the chip up at 2.7GHz it'd beat the 3.4GHz processors in MFlops, but the bench below it was usually lower.
Closed Thread