Best overclock config...

Status
Not open for further replies.

idiotec

Fully Optimized
I might be shooting the gun since this is for a system that hasn't even arrived yet, but I plan on OC'ing the thing at some point and am trying to figure out the best configuration. Sometimes the math doesn't seem to make since to me.

I am getting:

P4 550 3.4
asus 925xe premium mobo
1gb ddr2533 crosshair ram

This is what I was thinking would be the best config if it ran stable:

The 550 works with the asus lock-free, so i should be able to take the mulitplier down to x14

Overclock fsb to 266
leave memory stock

That should give me a 3.7 ghz at 266x14
The ram is at 266x2 right?

So that matches the ram and cpu which should provide the best performance?

I am pretty new to this stuff. I was reading about the bennfit of going to ddr2-667 ram with this config but I am having a hard time seeing the big bennifit there.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Either when you say "...take the multiplier down to 14...", or "...overclock the fsb to 266..." there is a miss-wording. because it should already be at 266 (266*2 = 533, which you are buying.)

That's the memory right? I was talking about the cpu. I read that the P4 have a fsb of 200, so the 550 3.4 would have 200X17.

Yeah the memory will be at 266 but as you said idiotec, the CPU won't be.

You should have no problem setting it to what you've described assuming you can infact lower the multiplier.

Just for safety sake you might want to bump it up in like 10MHz increments instead of just going from 200 to 266, although technically it should do it just fine, you're raising the overall FSB of your system too when you're doing this, so basically going beyond the normal capabilities of the board so when doing things like that, it's best to take it up slow than immediately

Nubius is wrong!!! Do not jump 66 MHz on the RAM!!!

Forget about instabilities... Doing this in one shot can damage the RAM.

?? The hell are you talking about fool, it's freakin DDR2533 which means 266MHz is the normal operating speed for that RAM.... :rolleyes:

I didn't tell him to do it in one shot anyway.

Jeez :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Idiotec, ignore that, I know what I'm talking about.

OMG!! Sorry Nubius!!! :(

Thought it was a DDR400!!! I thought it was odd to post that with the amount of knowledge you have! Should have known better.

No need to call me a fool though... :(

I use the word 'fool' in my everyday language. Even if it's to say 'Whats up fo0' so dont take it too personally.

There are other ways to get someones attention and make corrections without completely trying to discredit someone and make it seem as if I have no clue as to what I'm talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom