best am2 ocing board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter.Cort

TF's First Dry Ice User!
looking for the best ocing am2 board. I want really want to oc the **** out of my 4000+ brisbane. I've got an AFP-64 so i can take it places. i'm willing to spend around 120-130 max on it but would prefer to pay less.

it would be nice if i could run 2 3850's on it, but not necessary.

also i don't want am2+ board cause i don't think i'm going to go phenom for a long time.

M2N SLI Deluxe with the budget you mentioned otherwise I would recommend the eVGA or Foxconn 590

anything different? from what i read in a review on it it said that it was a really hard board to oc with. im looking at the Gigabyte GA-M61P-S3 but i can't find any reviews on it..

i wouldnt buy an evga 590 (or foxconn most likely), unless you plan on keeping it for awhile. they wont support phenoms apparently. EVER.
not a big deal if you will change mobos if you decide to go with a phenom in the future. if thats the case, i would suggest the foxconn or evga. even though i am hard pressed to recommend anything by EVGA, this board does rock. its just not well supported.
not sure if you have seen me ranting about it lately.
there's 400 reviews for that gigabyte board on newegg, lol dont know how reliable, but thats a few reviews and they are mostly positive.

I would recommend this, but its sLi, and you want to run crossfire.

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TForce TF570SLI AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

honestly though, all the best Overclocking motherboard use the nforce chipset, so it's going to be hard to find a crossfire board that OC's well, unless you get the AMD 790 series, but that's a little out of your budget. Here's an ok crossfire board:

Newegg.com - MSI K9A Platinum AM2 AMD 580X CrossFire ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

I have a Foxconn C51XEM2AA
Newegg.com - Foxconn C51XEM2AA- 8EKRS2H AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

I've been able to clock my CPU (6000+ Windsor F3) to 3.5GHZ using it. But even then, my CPU is the limiting factor in overclocking. The board is capable of a lot more.

I don't know if it will support Phenom in the future, but is exactly the same board as the eVGA 590, and I think XFX uses exactly the same design in one of their boards also.

Anyway, AM2+ boards are compatible with AM2 CPU's, so even if you're not going to get a Phenom CPU, you shouldn't limit yourself to only AM2 boards.

In fact, the 790X and 790FX chipsets are actually very good for overclocking K8 CPU's

MSI has a K9A2 CF board, and a K9A2 Platinum board, which can both crossfire two (or even FOUR, in the case of the platinum) Radeon 3850's, and you'll be able to overclock a 4000+ Brisbane very well on either of those boards.

the K9A2 CF is not very expensive, either.
MSI K9A2 CF-F AMD Phenom Socket AM2+ 2000 MHz PC2-8500 (DDR2-1066) ATX Motherboard Retail at ZipZoomfly

K9A2 Platinum
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch.hmx?SCriteria=BA24462

I have a Foxconn C51XEM2AA
Newegg.com - Foxconn C51XEM2AA- 8EKRS2H AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

I've been able to clock my CPU (6000+ Windsor F3) to 3.5GHZ using it. But even then, my CPU is the limiting factor in overclocking. The board is capable of a lot more.

I don't know if it will support Phenom in the future, but is exactly the same board as the eVGA 590, and I think XFX uses exactly the same design in one of their boards also.

Anyway, AM2+ boards are compatible with AM2 CPU's, so even if you're not going to get a Phenom CPU, you shouldn't limit yourself to only AM2 boards.

In fact, the 790X and 790FX chipsets are actually very good for overclocking K8 CPU's

MSI has a K9A2 CF board, and a K9A2 Platinum board, which can both crossfire two (or even FOUR, in the case of the platinum) Radeon 3850's, and you'll be able to overclock a 4000+ Brisbane very well on either of those boards.

the K9A2 CF is not very expensive, either.
MSI K9A2 CF-F AMD Phenom Socket AM2+ 2000 MHz PC2-8500 (DDR2-1066) ATX Motherboard Retail at ZipZoomfly

K9A2 Platinum
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch.hmx?SCriteria=BA24462

thats cheap... 92$ !!! wow!!

i have read that this DFI mobo is capable of 400mhz+ External/reference Clock speed (i wouldnt hold my breath tho....thats HIGH).
Newegg.com - DFI INFINITY NF570 SLI-M2/G AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

heres the review:
DFI Infinity NF570-M2/G Review - Icrontic.com
frankly, i find it kinda hard to believe the clock speed, but....if possible woo wee the possibilities. he does have a cpuz screenie of it tho.
check it out. looks like a killer mobo for like 100 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom