Is it bad turning pc off by mains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonny_uk

Fully Optimized
I mean while the pc is still running? i dont know about you but sometimes ive had no choice but to pull the plug out.

Just thought it cant be good but exactly how bad is it? or maybe its not as bad as i think?

lol pull the plug out? you can't at least switch off the power supply? or turn off the power strip/surge protector your computer is (hopefully) plugged into?

it probably depends how fast you pull the plug out. if you do it kinda slow and jerky, the power may fluctate and could cause damage to components.

There are situations that you will have no other choice but to manually turn off your PC. I would agree with molsen and say that instead of actually pulling the plug try holding down the power button until the PC turns off or flipping the switch on the back of the power supply.

yes, i think it is bad for the HDDs, but not anything else...

if they are half-way through a write, then that file will be corrupt.

also, i am not up to shape with my HDD knowledge, but the head is held off the surface of the platter by air pressure. when the HDD is turned off, the heads, because of the springs, return to the "park" position. if the air holding the heads up runs out before they make it to park, the heads rub accross the disk platter....

^^ that may be complete non-sense, i think i remember reading it somewhere. feel free to correct me.

just flip the switch on the back of ur psu or hold the power button. i guess if worst comes to worst you have to unplug it.

you should plug your computer and other important electronics into a surge protector. not only could this save your stuff in the event of a power surge, but it'll give you an extra option for cutting power more safely.

Guys, not all PSU's have a switch in the back. Many pre-built computers have no switch on the back.

joshd: I don't believe the head can ever touch the platter. I say this, because I have run HDD's without the cover (old crappy ones) and they still worked fine for a few minutes. The head never touched the platter, and if air pressure was required it would have.

It's true, the heads float by air pressure. In case of a power failure the head will automatically return to the LZ (Landing Zone). The disk will keep spinning long enough for it to go there without touching the surface, they are built that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom