bad power supply symptoms???
Just a quick question. Im upgrading my parents computer from an old PI 200mhz to a P III 1.1 ghz. They just need it for email/digital pics.
I put in an asus cusi-fx board and 256mb ram. I am using all of the on board integrated stuff. With just the board, keyboard, mouse and HD hooked up things booted fine and worked as expected. I shut it down. After hooking up the CDRW and floppy random wierd things started as follows:
1. When first powered on (when the computer is cold) it will load windows. It will run for a few minutes then the mouse and keyboard lock. When trying to reboot it hangs when loading windows. Booting to safemode gives the same result.
2. Hitting the reset makes strange stuff happen, ram is not recognized correctly unless completely powered down. Tested ram and it is fine alone.
3. Sometimes it makes it to the ram check, says OK and will not POST. I could not get it to post until i hooked it to my gateway PSU.
4. CMOS battery is fine, holds time.
and the strangest one yet:
5. When booting and entering the bios, after a few seconds the keyboard will lock and i have to power down. Also, when saving changes and exiting it will not reboot, it just locks.
Im using the old CPU fan from the PI, the processor is not hot to the touch. MB temp reads 35C. For some reason the CPU temp does not show up.
Im thinking that the 6 yr old 245 watt PSU (and case for that matter) is shot (fan makes terrible noise when first starting, but then stops), but i wanted to check with others first before buying a new case/PSU.