ATX case questions....

Status
Not open for further replies.

wedge_00

In Runtime
Hey guys, I just was taking a quick look at my second pc which is a Compaq Presario S3180AN.. One major problem for trying to upgrade the computer is a power supply issue, ( I rant and rave about this crap all the time!) the case is micro atx form and the power supply is micro atx form as well. The max wattage is only 250 and the amps are quite strong enough for an upgrade, so i visited a few local i.t shops and told me just to buy a new standard atx case to transplant the parts into. (well if it was that easy i would have done it ages ago, stupid!!!)

I noticed that the mobo to PS connector is a 20 pin, so if this is the case could i theoritically just buy a 20 pin power supply in a new case? I was informed though that the wiring even though it maybe a 20 pin connector the wiring is completley different ( i did notice that one of the pin's in the connector had no wiring running into it. Odd)

I also heard that you could just solder all the wiring different (probably not an option for me though....)

Does anybody have any knowledge with proprietary computers and atx power supply issues?

I know a lot of them have different configurations.

If yours is then you have to solder the voltages to the right spot or get a new motherboard AND PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom