ATX to BTX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boomstick666

Daemon Poster
hi. i have thermaltake kandalf case and i want to upgrade to BTX from standerd ATX. because it looks like more efficient air flow that way. but how does it work? have any1 done this? looks like its just the mobo placed upside down from ATX. but if its upside down, all the PCI and I/O part is gonna be facing the front of the case??? im very confused. theres no BTX mobo or anything right? or am i way off on this?? help pls.... o btw, theres a new window upgrade for thermaltake kandalf/armor owner. they now have side window panel w/25cm fan built in. im going to get it as soon as it becomes available in retail stores. check it out at the thermaltake website.

Assuming your case is actually BTX compliant all you do is follow the manual and pull the tray off and mount it on the right panel of the case rather than left so your I/O ports are positioned the right way

gaara said:
Assuming your case is actually BTX compliant all you do is follow the manual and pull the tray off and mount it on the right panel of the case rather than left so your I/O ports are positioned the right way
yes. i just have to buy the BTX upgrade kit for $30 or so. but like u said, putting the trey to the other side is gonna be problem...dont u think? cuz my case only has the opening on the window side. so if im putting the trey to the window side, all i see is gonna be the back of mobo/trey....means i lose all the accesability inside the comp. i have to take mobo out from case to do anything inside... o wait a min...how can i even screw the mobo to the case? cuz all im gonna see is gonna be back of my mobo...im sooooo confused. i cant see how this is gonna be possible. if my case had openning on each side itll be no problem but...it only has openning on one side... and btw, it doesnt have pull out trey or anything. its fixed to the one side. though, thermaltake sells BTX upgrade kit for this particuler model. and theres something wrong w/ their site/customer support page. i cant even ask them this question...

turtile said:
You need a BTX motherboard. I've only seen a few for small Media center PCs. I think GigaByte makes one.
o okie...thats what i thought...but i have never seen BTX mobo so i didnt know...but anyway, why BTX isnt the standerd? its way better for the air flow and better for cooling GPU that way than ATX. my mac G5 is mouted as BTX as standerd. cuz GPU and PCI slots are gonna be at the top, so its more air blows into GPU and heats gonna spread quicker, too.

i am BTX (dell). but it is sudo BTX. the cards are still at the bottom of the case, but the other way around, so i can see the top of my gfx card, not just a few screws and memory chips. :)

doesnt the kandalf have a tray that fits on the other side? and then you put a window'ed panel on the other side of the case.

my case is very similar to btx as well... as for cooling, i wouldnt know the difference.... i've only used this comp with actual temp reads... having the mobo upside down seemed a bit awkward to me at first... but my temps are pretty low for my cpu.. or so i hope, i usally idol around 34, stressed out was about 41 from what i last remember, thats when i had this opty at 2.8 ghz, i've backed it down to 2.6, why.. i don't know? and for my grpahics card, it idols at 42, weather thats good or not.. i don't know.... hopefully this case is doing me some good

everything seems to be like all the btx hub-ub... pci slots up top, cpu on bottom, mobo on the opposite side of the case... it said it was btx inspired.. so that could be the reason..haha

turtile said:
? no no. i dont want to buy a case. i already have 1. and it can be used as BTX if i get the BTX kit. but i dont really see it works as BTX. cuz then i have to buy opposite side window panel also. since whole thing (the mobo trey. but i don see it coming off....) is gonna be turned around.

Its a barebone. I was just pointed out one that I saw. You can see that it pulls heat like a tunnel threw that heatsink/fan. It cools every component in a small space with 1 fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom